Ultimaker S5 Stuck With filament coiled and I can't make it unload

Posted · Ultimaker S5 Stuck With filament coiled and I can't make it unload

I did a print last night and it failed, and it blew out past the bowden tubes and coiled all around the inside of the printer.  Aborting the job is fine, but now the printer is stuck saying "Extruder 2: Material in use" so I can't make it unload it.

I've tried rebooting it several times (the material station, the UM5, everything) but it's still jammed.  How can I fix this?

• Like 1

Provided this is interpreted correctly. There are basically two solutions.

The patient one. After about two hours he moves back alone.

The tricky one. Start another print job that pulls material from another slot.

Hrmm, interesting.  I waited a couple hours and it pulled back the filament from the OTHER core, but it left the one that's stuck.  I'll try printing something small and see if it works?

I'm really bummed out at all the corner cases that get this expensive machine stuck. :(

OK, the printing something else sorta works.  It basically rewinds *some* of the filament, then gets unhappy it's taking too long, and craps out with an error message.  I have to power cycle the machine, send another print through.  I've done it 3 times now and it just fixed itself.

Thanks for the tip, but I really wish I had better manual control over this versus "faking" the machine into doing what I need it to.

The material can actually also be pulled back manually through the station. Open the feeder and off you go. It just does not always work. I do this very reluctantly and would therefore not recommend it.

True, finding the detours it takes to force the machine to act in different cases doesn't make it any easier.

Wish you continued success

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
    On 4/9/2021 at 4:11 PM, UlrichC-DE said:

The material can actually also be pulled back manually through the station. Open the feeder and off you go. It just does not always work. I do this very reluctantly and would therefore not recommend it.

You're right, it doesnt always work, in fact, I've never been able to make that work.  but here's what DOES work.

turn off all the power, printer and material station both.  open the feed on the station the material is in.   open the material station, cut and remover the spool of the offending material. remove the clamp on the print core and put the bowden tube out.    now carefully and slowly pull the material out from the bowden tube until it clears the entire material path.  take the cover off the feeder to assure it;s clean.   turn the powers back on and assure that the printer knows the build surface has been cleared..    you may have to select "change material" so the printer will be ready to reload. and at that point you can reload the material

I agree, the firmware really needs both to allow all this easily, AND to allow purging the printcore independently so one can tell if the core is good without all the cold pull, hot pull, cleaner filmament mumbo jumbo  Maybe it's too much for those netherland engineers to grasp?

• Like 1