Print height is smaller than expected

Ban_D

Posted · Print height is smaller than expected

Hey guyz !

Prints on my Ender 3 Pro are smaller in height (Z axis) than expected. X and Y size however are accurate.

I printed some calibration cubes to be sure.

Difference is about 4%, the height is around 19.15mm instead of 20mm.

I use Cura to slice STL files. I can increase height percentage at around 104% on Cura but for me it's only a workaround and I would prefer a more durable solution than increasing height each time I slice a file.

I double checked:

• E step : perfectly fine
  • Z step : same
  • Z binding : followed a tutorial on youtube, shouldn't be this, but I can't be sure
  • Z axis bar is perfectly flat, no curve or whatever

What should I investigate on in order to solve this?

Posted (edited) · Print height is smaller than expected

That was the height of the top layer and it's what it should be.  It sounds like the machine is shorting the dimension.  There are a couple of things you can look at.

Make sure the coupler on the Z motor isn't touching the body of the motor.  There should be 6 or 7mm clearance.

Check that the set screws in the coupler are tight.

With the printer auto-homed - is the Z screw parallel to the aluminum upright?  If it isn't then that can cause Z binding when the Z is at 0 to some distance above 0.

If you don't find an issue with those three then:

The default Zsteps/mm is 400.  Your print tells the story (20/19.15) * 400 = 417.75.  So you can try setting the Zsteps/mm to 418.  Print another cube and measure it.

The X, Y, and Z steps on the Creality printers don't usually need adjustment once a printer has worn in.  That doesn't mean they never need adjustment.  On the other hand, the Esteps usually do need an adjustment and need to be revisited about once a month.

Edited by GregValiant