Text not sliced correctly

UncleDaddySwiss

Posted · Text not sliced correctly

Hi, strange thing, Im making a key handle, with text sunk in on the face. When i preview the model in cura I see that the first layer of the text and the top layer are rendered, but the layers between are solid. Wondering why this would be. Thanks.

KeyFusion360.png

keylayer30.png

keylayer31.png

keylayer32.png

keylayer33.png

keylayer34.png

Posted (edited) · Text not sliced correctly

Hard to tell from these images. If you save a project (File -> Save Project...) and post it somewhere (google drive, onedrive, dropbox, etc), we can have a closer look at both the model and the settings you currently use.

Edited by ahoeben
    • Like 1

The slicer might be treating the face as a solid, unbroken surface. See if drawing lines connecting the letters to each other and to the edges will solve the issue. I've had the same problem with files created in Sketchup, so it might be the same here.

Hey, all...

i have the same problem, but my letters are raised.  Cura merges the 2 models I made in Blender but begins printing the words at the layer that my model orientation is in. 

In Blender, I took 2mm high letters and inserted them 1 mm inside a 3 mm disk. (so a 4mm high model)  Exported and merged and it sliced the letters 1mm below the surface just as I had it in Blender (how do it know?).  It prints a layer of letters, then a solid layer, then letters, etc. printing 1mm logo inside the disk and the remaining 1mm above the disk instead of waiting and just printing the top 1 mm on the surface of the disk.  I went back to Blender and moved the logo up .5mm...still inside the disk, and Cura "knew" I had raised the logo and  still printed the whole 2mm starting at whatever layer was .5mm below the top.

How does Cura know what orientation my models are in Blender and why is it printing the hidden geometry.  Im using an S3 so its a 2 color print...I Import the models individually and when I merge...its in the same orientation as Blender...magic!??!!  So basically Cura is printing 2 full models and starting one inside the other. 

If I don't have the models in Blender in their proper places when I export each to stl, then Cura doesn't merge them right..

Ugh, long post, sorry-

Thx- 

MadNess

6 minutes ago, MadNess69 said:

How does Cura know what orientation my models are in Blender

One thing at a time: This is not cura reading the blender orientation. It is Cura reading the x,y,z coordinates in the exported file. It is all about how you export things.

7 minutes ago, MadNess69 said:

.....and why is it printing the hidden geometry

It is not printing hidden geometry. It is trying to print the two objects intersection. Cura sees the objects as two different things because it sees the full geometry that is residing below the plane you inserted it into.

To get it to print cleanly you need to do a 'boolean-union' operation in blender then export the final piece as a single set of faces and not intersecting faces.

11 minutes ago, MadNess69 said:

So basically Cura is printing 2 full models and starting one inside the other. 

yes, I just tried to explain more fully

12 minutes ago, MadNess69 said:

If I don't have the models in Blender in their proper places when I export each to stl, then Cura doesn't merge them right..

Cura cannot know what your intention is. All things should be in proper places when exporting so Cura can read that x,y,z information.

But, the model should be complete at export because Cura cannot do it for you.

Posted (edited) · Text not sliced correctly

Thanks for the help!

I was making a .3mf to upload and saw the reply.  I'm just real lost now...I forgot to say its a 2 color print...so 2 objects...

LOL-Solved @kmanstudios Thanks!  Modelling prob, not Cura.  I thought Cura ignored geometry inside and so I just sunk one .stl inside another in Blender... NO...I need to have the mesh of 1 .stl flush...not inside...the mesh of the 2nd .stl....xyz coords...got it ! 

I thought UncleDaddySwiss and I had the same type of prob... sorry, I did not mean to jump his thread.

Thx tho

Edited by MadNess69

3 hours ago, MadNess69 said:

I thought UncleDaddySwiss and I had the same type of prob

His problem is different because the text should be inset into the model. Something is capping across the holes. It may be a slicer setting or a model issue that is causing his model to do what it is doing now. I am just waiting for the .3mf file to see.