Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
secondsky

molten plastic between the peek and aluminum

After some initial prints, without any particular problems all'ultimaker apparently, has begun to flow burned pla from the joint between the aluminum and the peek, emitting a little smoke.

We immediately stopped printing. A bit 'of plastic was poured between the nozzle and aluminum, before, but we were not so scary about.

It is common or very bad? Do you think we should remove the nozzle and try to celan it?

Maybe the temperature was just too high.

The ultimaker did't stop extruding.

Thank you all.

DSC_0535.jpg

A small amount of leakage is no problem, a lot however, and it will drip down the nozzle and harden on top of the part-> nozzle collision-> skipped steps-> failed print. The acceptable leakage depends on how long you plan to leave it unattended. When it's really bad (too much teflon tape) I've had good luck baby sitting it, and wiping the drool off with a Q-tip.

Next time you take apart the nozzle use Permatex High Temperature Thread Sealant (I read about it on the boards here) instead of teflon tape. I've been getting good results with that. You can get it at any auto parts store. Be careful to clean any extra out of the melt well before you reassemble.

The item I bought was 6mL and the part no. is PX #59214

Kyle