ticking sound?

braddock

Posted · ticking sound?

It sounds normalish to me - all I hear is the head moving. It does sound like the axes might be rattling a bit, but its hard to tell. If you grab the four axis rods one at a time, and try to shake them side to side, do they move and rattle?

Posted · ticking sound?

Hi MarkStruct

I think too, it's all normal, no problems, as far as one can tell from the video. ;)

:idea: My assumption:

The fast changes of direction, cause this knocking noise. In the center of the build platform, or for complex objects in general, the knocking sounds more dramatic than in remote areas and less complex objects.

Anyway, my machine makes the same sound in obvious properly seated mechanics.

Markus

Posted · ticking sound?

Thanks guys. The sound is periodic, so i guess it is from something that is moving in a constant speed. This sound is normally audible at the start of a print and then it goes away.

The printer is still printing fine at the moment, I will check whether the four axes can be moved As illuminarti suggested when the print finishes.

gr5, the sound is the same as in the video posted by braddock at the start of this topic.

Posted · ticking sound?

The stepper of the material feeder can really cause a lot of different sounds. During startup, pressure in the Bowden tube is built up, this could be a possible explanation for unusual sounds at the beginning. Then it should return to normal, and the drive continues to operate with almost equal force. For the generation of the first layer, this engine regularly works very slowly. Then it goes to the selected print speed. This results in different sounds, from ticking up to the screeching during a Retract, depending on the material currently used. But all these noises, sounds rhythmically over longer periods.

Markus

Posted · ticking sound?

My 2-week old UM2 developed a distinct and regular ticking sound several days ago (only during printing, not while cooling off after a print). This was a new sound that did not happen before. It seemed to me to come from the filament feeder. I dis-assembled the feeder this morning and blew out some PLA dust, and reassembled it without changing anything in the feeder (not intentionally, anyway). The occasion was changing the stock metal fan bracket to a printed version https://www.youmagine.com/designs/fanduct-another-idea

Anyway, the ticking noise is now completely gone. The new fanduct seems to be an improvement but I haven't done careful tests- at least it is not worse. I think the fan noise also may be reduced (which makes sense; I'm sure plastic resonates less than sheet metal).

Posted · ticking sound?

I get the same clicking sound sometimes. It's definitely coming from the feeder. I think it's normal and you shouldn't worry about it. The first time I watched the video I didn't recognize it but my printer makes this noise a lot lately and maybe I never used to notice. Now I notice it often. It has something to do with the stepper motor steps I think. I think it's one click per one *full* step. Or maybe one click per one substep? Anyway I wouldn't worry about it.

Posted · ticking sound?

I have tried to move the 4 axes, and only one of them can move/rattle.

I did a 20 hours print and the part turned out fine, and the ticking noise was not audible after a few hours into the print.