2+ Connect Wifi and LAN connection problem

mbroughton

Posted · 2+ Connect Wifi and LAN connection problem

Hi everyone,

We have purchased a UM2+ connect for our school. We have tried to install both via wi-fi and via LAN but the printer does not connect either way.

Wi-fi: we have connected through a smart phone and had a success message on the phone, the printer however says connection failed.

LAN: we are given an IP address but then cannot connect through Digital factory. With the error message to plug in an ethernet cable.

We have gone through all the steps suggested on the Ultimaker support. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

• 2 months later...
    • 1 year later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately very few people on here have a UM2+C.  It seems it's not popular although the few people I know who have it think its the best print Ultimaker makes for the price.  Anyway the only person I know who might have one is this guy and he knows networks:  @Smithy

Although he may have questions.  What do you mean "same problem here".  I guess if you have trouble with wifi, wired is so much simpler so did you do a wired connection?  What do you mean by "given an ip address"?  Are you not using DHCP to distribute IP addresses?

I would also recommend to start with a ethernet connection first, just to see if that works.

There could be two main reasons why it fails:

- The printer don't get an IP address from your DHCP server or router

- The printer communication is maybe blocked by a firewall (often the case in schools)

The UM2+C can only operate when he can reach the internet, there is no local-only communication over LAN as it is with other UM printers and you can only send print jobs via the cloud (digital factory)

It would also be helpful when you can give some more information about your environment. Do you have a bigger network infrastructure or just a simple router? Are there any firewalls or other security things installed? 

In bigger companies, an (unused) ethernet port is often blocked or disabled - or has no access to the internet.

On 10/6/2022 at 10:40 AM, Smithy said:

The UM2+C can only operate when he can reach the internet, there is no local-only communication over LAN as it is with other UM printers and you can only send print jobs via the cloud (digital factory)

Apologies for bumping an old thread... but I have my UM2+C connected to my network via LAN and was wondering why I can't find it under "networked printers" in Cura. Even adding it directly via IP address fails. I can only get it to work via Digital Factory. 

Based on what you said this is normal? I assumed something was wrong with my printer or network settings. 

17 hours ago, dfrez said:

Apologies for bumping an old thread... but I have my UM2+C connected to my network via LAN and was wondering why I can't find it under "networked printers" in Cura. Even adding it directly via IP address fails. I can only get it to work via Digital Factory. 

Based on what you said this is normal? I assumed something was wrong with my printer or network settings. 

Yes this is normal.

Unfortunately, this is by design for the UltiMaker 2+ Connect.
    You can only print to it via USB Stick or Digital Factory. 
    Direct printing from Cura over your local network is not supported.

You can learn more here: https://support.makerbot.com/s/article/1667412440858

16 hours ago, Dustin said:

Yes this is normal.

Unfortunately, this is by design for the UltiMaker 2+ Connect.
    You can only print to it via USB Stick or Digital Factory. 
    Direct printing from Cura over your local network is not supported.

You can learn more here: https://support.makerbot.com/s/article/1667412440858

Thank you for confirming that. Might I suggest adding that article to your main network troubleshooting page? I went to the help page straight from Cura after trying to add it via IP and it said nothing about the Ultimaker 2+ Connect. It might save others from pulling their hair out trying to figure out why their printing isn’t showing up. 

• Like 2

Hello!

First of all I am not sure if I was supposed to open a new topic since I have pretty much the same issue, so I thought it would be better to get help from here instead of opening a new similar thread.

We have an Ultimaker Connect 2+ here and we are facing issues to connect to the internet.

I manage to connect to the wifi, it says that everything went well, i have an ip address etc, But as soon as I press the Digital Factory option it says that I have no connection.

Similarly, I also tested with an ethernet cable, and it happens pretty much the same... ip address ok, but same error when clicking on the button.

I have also tried to factory reset the printer and re-try everything but I got the same result

The network here is very simple actually, the firewall that could possibly block something is already set to allow the printers we have here, so I don't know what to do =/

6 hours ago, fabioribeiro said:

Hello!

First of all I am not sure if I was supposed to open a new topic since I have pretty much the same issue, so I thought it would be better to get help from here instead of opening a new similar thread.

We have an Ultimaker Connect 2+ here and we are facing issues to connect to the internet.

I manage to connect to the wifi, it says that everything went well, i have an ip address etc, But as soon as I press the Digital Factory option it says that I have no connection.

Similarly, I also tested with an ethernet cable, and it happens pretty much the same... ip address ok, but same error when clicking on the button.

I have also tried to factory reset the printer and re-try everything but I got the same result

The network here is very simple actually, the firewall that could possibly block something is already set to allow the printers we have here, so I don't know what to do =/

That still sounds like a network blocking issue.
    see here: https://support.makerbot.com/s/article/1667337958118

I would recommend sending the machine log files to UltiMaker Support directly for better assistance.
    Contact here: https://support.makerbot.com/s/contactsupport

Hi

We operate 16 UM 2 connects in total. 5 of those are impossible to connect to the network. No connection to Cura possible. No matter what we do. 

This is a hardware/software issue no doubt. Switching to other printer brands cause the problem has persisted for month will Ultimaker not caring. 

Cheers

Kris