2018 UM S5 Firmware 6.3.0 updated now stuck on Ultimaker screen (no menu access). works over network

JimKlein

Posted · 2018 UM S5 Firmware 6.3.0 updated now stuck on Ultimaker screen (no menu access). works over network

All last night I accepted the 6.3.0 fw update from the screen of my 2018 UM S5. It appeared to have started the process as expected. This morning it is stuck on the UM splash screen with no menu access.  Cura can send jobs to it as expected, I am printing one now.  The display is still on the UM splash screen and unresponsive.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated? 

Also since this is the earlier model, if I need to perform the recovery procedure (with extra safety precaution) how do I go about getting the recover image for this machine and docs?

thank you

Jim

Posted · 2018 UM S5 Firmware 6.3.0 updated now stuck on Ultimaker screen (no menu access). works over network

I would get the olimex-serial-F cable (from amazon in USA or from olimex.com if in europe) to see what's going on.  I have tons of debugging information about this issue including how to get access to the python log files to see what is failing.

I am going to go out on a limb and suggest you have some corruptions on your "hard drive" on the olimex board on your S5.  Corruptions that can be worked around.

Anyway to answer your question - you must contact your reseller to get the recover firmware and procedure.  I think they want you to sign something because there are indeed deadly, exposed voltages in the S5 release 1 when remove the bottom cover.

I have TONS of information here for fixing your issue with almost zero cost or the minimum cost:

http://gr5.org/unbricking/

• Like 1

thank you, I will look into getting the cable and our site. I really appreciate your assistance.

For other people reading this thread - understand that normally you can upgrade the firmware from the display - this unbricking is only for people with an S5, S3, or UM3 that is "bricked" in that the display touch screen is useless.

@JimKlein: I assume you already tested to power down the printer, leave it for at least 30 seconds off and then reboot? It often helped with printers I have seen to be in this state.

Interesting how this played out. I did reach out to support@3duniverse and received zero response, kind of disappointed,

As mentioned above I had powered off the printer waited a few minutes and restarted with the same result.  So I ordered the cable anyway. However yesterday eve, I tried one more time and this time unplugged the printer and left alone for at least 15 mins. This time it rebooted as expected :-)  Just to be safe I did a firmware re-install and watched it start to finish. All is fine now.  I think the lesson learned for me is to never perform a firmware update unattended. And be very generous with the unplug time as mentioned above.  

thank you all

Jim

I haven't spoken to them in a year but there are some real nice people at 3DUniverse.  But if you reach out to them about something else and get no reply contact support@fbrc8.com.  I'm not sure what the official rules are but I assume it's okay to contact fbrc8 if 3DUniverse ignores you.  fbrc8 has it's own support department and they assemble all the printers sold in the USA (including yours) so they are pretty knowledgeable and can help you with things like unbricking or parts.  Always include the SN of your printer with any communication with fbrc8.

thank you, i assume that this the order was in 2018, perhaps they were not all that interested. But i obviously may have jumped to a conclusion.  it would be nice to get the blessed process since I will have the cable, just in case.  thank you

jimk

Don't worry about it.  If you really need the recovery image (unlikely) someone will help you.  Also there is a link to an older one in the unbricking post above.

Thank you, everyone. I did finally open a case with UM support directly and Spencer Priddy from NA support jumped at the chance to help out. Greatly appreciated! This was my first time working with UM support and they did not disappoint.  Very helpful and professional.  Thanks again for your community support.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · 2018 UM S5 Firmware 6.3.0 updated now stuck on Ultimaker screen (no menu access). works over network
    On 4/29/2021 at 6:13 PM, gr5 said:

For other people reading this thread - understand that normally you can upgrade the firmware from the display - this unbricking is only for people with an S5, S3, or UM3 that is "bricked" in that the display touch screen is useless.

Also important to notice: Sometimes you get a stuck screen, but the printer is not actually "bricked" a reboot (or two) sometimes also works. If you have tried rebooting and that did not help, it's time for different measures. If you have developer mode set to on, it's always good to see whether or not you can still log into the printer (not for the fainthearted). If rebooting doesn't fix it, contact support.

Edited by sj3fk3
    • Like 1