Ultimaker 2+ Connect gross bed adjustment

vstacey

Posted · Ultimaker 2+ Connect gross bed adjustment

Hi, I'm new to the whole 3D printing thing and have been setting up a new Ultimate 2+ Connect. However I've run into an issue with bed levelling, The instructions tell me to use the screws to adjust the relative height to the nozzle. However the front right (looking from the front) screw doesn't have enough travel to get clearance from the nozzle. The full range goes from so close it's barely possible to squeeze the calibration card into the gap, to locked solidly together.

Dropping the whole bed a millimetre would allow for much better clearance, but the bed levelling functionality on the printer doesn't seem to offer this. Is it possible to perform gross adjustments like this, or are the screws the only mechanism available?

1) So you are saying the screw is as tight as it can get?

2) Is this a brand new printer or was it find for a while? 

If #2 is true, there could be something interfering with the Z limit switch.  Raise the bed with your hands and look under - there should be a screw or something sticking down I think (I don't know the UM2+C very well).  That screw should go into a hole I think that triggers the Z limit switch.  If a tiny piece of plastic falls into that hole then you get the symptoms you describe.

1) Correct. It won't physically tighten anymore, but only minimally moves the plate away from the nozzle.

2) I've had it for four days and it's been like this since I unpacked it.

I raised the bed and confirmed that the limit switch (assuming you mean the microswitch at the very back of the bed, which makes contact with a descending screw) is free of any obstructions.

I'd talk to your reseller about this.  I'd also try to see if I can move that Z switch down a few mm.  You can just bend the metal tab a tiny bit and you should be good to go.  For every .1mm you bend that switch down the bed will end up 0.1mm farther from your nozzle when you home.

@Smithy has an UM2+C.  Maybe he knows something.

I have the opposite situation with mine, when I level the bed, the screws are a little bit too loose, but it is still working for me. So I would really contact your reseller to solve the problem. I mean in fact it is just what @gr5 said, the reseller will probably bend the metal tab a little bit, so you could also do that, but on the other hand it is a new printer, so it is up to you. 

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2+ Connect gross bed adjustment

Old thread but sharing in case someone stumbled on this thread like I did. 

I just bought a UM2C and had this exact issue. I’m confused why UM got rid of the initial rough adjustment that the UM2+ has in it’s leveling procedure, where you rotate the control knob until the nozzle is about 1mm away. It would prevent an issue like this. 

Anyway, I solved this by swapping the limit switch screw on the buildplate carrier. Originally it’s a M3x16mm, I replaced it with a M3x14mm. I prefer this over bending the limit switch, I couldn’t get it to bend enough and I was worried I’d break it if I tried pushing harder

Simply pop off the back cover and use a piece of blue masking tape to hold it to the top of the printer to keep it out of the way. Then remove the screw to the left of the lead screw and replace with the shorter screw. 

Edited by dfrez