Gcode does not reflect its saved filename

terrypin

Posted · Gcode does not reflect its saved filename

I usually save the Gcode from Cura 4.9 with a new, easily recognisable name. But the LCD of the Ender 3 V2 still displays the default.

Viewing the Gcode in a text editor I see that this must be because there are several lines like this, with the original default name:

;MESH:boite 10cmx10cmx3cm p1.stl

(Instead of the name I saved, Box-100x50x25.gcode.)

I could use my text editor to change all of those to my preferred name. But is there some setting in Cura I've missed that will avoid that unwanted extra workflow step please?

Was this also the behaviour in 4.8?

As far as I know we haven't changed anything there.

Anyhow; objects can also have a name inside Cura. The base name is generated from the filename. By default, cura doesn't provide the functionality to change this (yet). There is a plugin (mesh tools) that allows you to change / set the names of objects in the scene.

The printers don't "look ahead" into a file.  Whatever the file name is should be displayed on the LCD as that's all the printer knows.  Additionally, they don't pay any attention to a line that starts with a semi-colon as a comment is not a command.

You might try re-formatting that SD card.  They can act strangely at times but formatting usually brings them back to life.  The early Creality printers also had a limit to the length of a file name.  The prefix was limited to 16 characters.  I don't know if they got away from that with the 32 bit boards.

Not sure I fully understand. The LCD showed the first 20 chars of the name ‘boite 10cmx10cmx3cm p1’, which was not the name of the gcode file on the SD card,

Posted (edited) · Gcode does not reflect its saved filename

Unless you are doing something with a RaspPi /Octoprint I don't know how it could do that.  The mainboards aren't very sophisticated and I'm sure that once the SD card is out of the slot that the mainboard doesn't remember what it saw.

Here's Greg's Accel and Jerk Tool for Windows.  I added printing utilities to it for printing from the SD card.  That means you query the printer from your computer and it sends back the file names that are on the SD card.  (Pick the one you want and print it).  If nothing else it's a different way to get the names back from the printer and it bypasses the LCD.

Somehow your problem has gotta be the SD card.  Bad sectors, something didn't erase correctly, random bits of files...I really can't see it being the printer but who knows.  Some of the things that happen with my Ender 3 Pro are odd.  I have had to do a factory reset twice when it got stuck-on-stupid.

Edited by GregValiant

It would be my guess that @terrypin uses the "Display Filename And Layer On LCD" postprocessing script, which specifically displays the mesh filename on the lcd, not the gcode filename. The mesh filename is stored in the gcode by that postprocessing script.

If you want something else shown on the printer LCD, that is either up to the printer firmware, or you will have to use a different or altered postprocessing script.

Thanks both. Out for most of today but I’ll carefully study those points when I get back to the PC. Not aware of doing anything special with the SD  card. And never used the direct USB PC connection to printer.

If that earlier file name is appearing in the "comment" line of the LCD then ahoeben's suggestion is correct and a post-processor is passing the mesh name to the printer.

If the earlier file name is appearing in the list of files you can choose from in the "Print from SD" menu then it could be the SD card.  That would be an oddball though.

Time for me to eat dirt - the problem was down entirely to me, sorry!

The explanation was that for this project, after slicing, I had taken advantage of the handy Cura feature that allowed me to save directly to the SD card (in its USB stick). I didn't notice that this does not let me specify a new name. For all my previous projects I had saved the gcode to my project folder on the PC, with my choice of filename. I then copied that to the SD card before inserting in the printer.

I'll revert to that method from now on! The speed and automatic reject of the other method is nice - but not at the cost of losing my own naming.

• Like 2

Thanks for getting back.  At least it was something simple to understand and account for.

14 hours ago, terrypin said:

I didn't notice that this does not let me specify a new name

You can change the name before saving it; in the lower left corner of the window, you will see the "print job name" with a small pencil to the left of it. You can edit the print job name, either by pressing the little pencil (which selects the print job name), or by just clicking in the print job name and editing what is there. There's also the "Printjob naming" plugin that lets you use patterns to automatically create a printjob name from things like the layer height etc.

Duh!

Terrific, thanks!