Cura 4.9 crashes on opening

fedorable1

Posted · Cura 4.9 crashes on opening

Hello. I have Windows 10, and recently installed Cura 4.9.  It seemed to install just fine but when it opened, it crashed. I uninstalled and tried again but it didn't help.

I even tried installing version 4.8. That one at least got to the Terms and Conditions window, but then crashed as well.

Help is appreciated.

9 minutes ago, fedorable1 said:

when it opened, it crashed

In order to help you, we need to know more. What happened exactly? Did you get an error message? If so, what error message? Did you get to see anything before it crashed?

There was no error message. It went through the "loading plugins" lead up to opening, but then it closed. I ran Task Master to verify that it wasn't just loading in the background somewhere. With 4.8 during the Getting Started windows it similarly vanished and closed.

Then we need to see your logs. Upload the file %APPDATA%\cura\4.9\cura.logsomewhere (dropbox, Google drive, etc) and post a link here.

I'm having similar issues after clicking on the "Monitor" button.  I've tried completely removing Cura and all settings, but the issue persists after the following steps:

1. Uninstall Cura 4.9.1 (including removing settings)
    2. Delete %appdata%\cura* folders
    3. Reboot
    4. Install Cura 4.9.0 or 4.9.1 - crashes still occur.

If I install cura 4.8.0 the software restarts as if it's the first time it was installed.  However on v4.9.x it seems to be loading the settings from the session where it initially crashed (after clicking the "monitor" buttom/tab).  Is there a way to completely remove all settings to restart at factory defaults so that I can restore a backup of my settings from prior to the crash?

Sorry - I was not able to edit the previous post, I assume due to needing moderator approval.

I believe I found the source of the issue.  I often go days without restarting my computer (or Cura).  I recently added a Dell USB 3.0 Docking Station (D3100) to be able to add an additional monitor.  When this 2nd monitor is attached, Cura 4.9.x crashes, but works fine if I simply unplug monitor's HDMI cable from the back of the dock.  I've attached stderr.log files for when the displaylink monitor is in use and when it is not.

My (hopefully) temporary solution is to unplug the monitor, launch Cura, then plug the monitor back in.  Cura seems to run fine with the 2nd monitor attached but will not start without crashing.

stderr.with.displaylink.monitor.log stderr.without.displaylink.monitor.log

• Like 1

If you are not printing over the USB port then go to "MarketPlace" and "Installed" and scroll down and un-tick "USB Printing".  When it is enabled and Cura starts - "USB Printing" polls all available ports and then tries different baud rates on the ones it can open.  Maybe a response is upsetting the plugin?

Posted (edited) · Cura 4.9 crashes on opening

@GregValiant, thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately that did not work.

However, after doing some more digging in my display settings I discovered that I was using the monitor connected via the USB Dock (DisplayLink) as my "main display", and it appears the Cura attempts to place itself on the "main display".   I changed the setting so that the main display was connected directly to the laptop instead of the dock, and Cura started successfully.

After some more digging, I found/remembered that a few months ago in Settings > System > Display > Graphics settings I set Cura to always use my Nvidia graphics card (on a windows laptop with dual graphics).  After removing this setting everything started working again regardless of what monitor was configured as the main display.  Obviously, Nvidia cannot render the graphics over a USB adapter, and it seems that setting was causing the issues with the Cura rendering engine.

Edited by gjtaylor72
    • Like 1

@gjtaylor72 

The unplug the second monitor trick worked perfect for me!! 

I have a 2013 macbook pro. 

You can also edit or delete the cura.cfg file in the same folder as the cura.log file.  There's not much in that file.  Just set the left/x/top/y values to zero.  Or delete them.

3 hours ago, gr5 said:

You can also edit or delete the cura.cfg file in the same folder as the cura.log file. 

I think it is fairly bad advice to delete that file. On the next start of Cura, Cura will tell you to add a new printer. You will also loose configuration like what settings are shown. Temporarily disabling the second display, starting Cura and unchecking the "Restore window position on start" checkbox in the Preferences is really a lot less error-prone.