Pause script not working Cura 4.9 beta

Gazilions

Posted · Pause script not working Cura 4.9 beta
I seem to have NO control over my Ender 5 Pro with Cura 4.9 scripts. I can't get pause to work, change temperature to even print a temp tower. Extruder variations, etc. I've tried everything - printing from SD, printing directly to the printer...nothing.

Cura 4.9 beta

I've got the Creality 4.2.2 board, running installed marlin firmware 1.1.1 (according to the about info on display), a BLTouch, everything is leveled correctly, I've tried turning off the printer, unplugging it, restarting - nothing changes. I've turned off start G-code completely so nothing but firmware is loading and/or running.

I thought reloading the firmware would do the trick. It did. Once per print. Then I had to reload the firmware every time I needed to run the pause script. The first print works, the second print just ignores the script and keeps on rolling. I think there is some sort of flaw in v.4.9 that causes this to happen, unless there is a setting in firmware I'm missing. Even so, it should either always work or always fail. Not make its own mind up about when to or not to work. Again, as I described above, I've tried both settings -  height and layers - nothing changes. Still at a frustrated loss..

Posted (edited) · Pause script not working Cura 4.9 beta

When Creality went to the 32 bit boards (4.2.2 and 4.2.7) they missed a trick.  The firmware for the TFT style LCD screen didn't play well with the new boards.  It appears to be in the firmware since there is a specific switch in Marlin that needs to be enabled for TFT style screens.

Since M0, M1 and M117 send messages to the display, and since the display didn't want to play nice, the printer ignores all three commands so in your case M0 doesn't work.  On the Marlin site you will find that M0 is defined as "Unconditional Stop" and it sends the message "Click to Resume" to the display.  Now you know the problem is in the firmware and I think it can be resolved someway through the firmware.  I'm just not sure of the exact fix.  Neither Creality nor Marlin (who are really upset with Creality) would offer any help/advice/info regarding what was going on.

I do have a workaround.

Within the Cura Pause at Height dialog choose "By Layer" and set the Disarm Timeout setting to 1800 (that's the max without changing a line in the plugin).  In the box "Gcode after Pause" enter "G4 S180".  G4 is "Dwell" and the S parameter is in seconds so the 180 would give you 3 minutes to do something.  If you were to make it S600 you would have 10 minutes.

When the printer gets to the Pause - the routine will initiate, the head will park where you want, the M0 will be ignored, the G4 command will "dwell" the print for however many seconds.  At the end of that time the print will restart by itself.  The printer will not accept any input while in "Dwell" so you must wait for it to resume on it's own.  There are two obvious drawbacks to this.  #1 you have to be standing there because the restart is on a timer and #2 because it's a timer you better choose the time correctly or it can either restart too soon or take forever to get going again.

Edited by GregValiant
    • Thanks 1