Introducing Firmware 6.4 for S-line printers

SandervG

Posted · Introducing Firmware 6.4 for S-line printers

We’re happy to announce that firmware 6.4 is released today for our Ultimaker S-line 3D printers. With it comes increased reliability and compatibility with our newest Ultimaker material; PETG. 

Release notes: 

• Increased reliability – Improved deprime parameters will reduce the chances of getting certain errors due to material movement for the S-line Pro Bundle, known as ER34, ER35 and ER80. 
  • PETG compatibility – This firmware contains the print profile and allows printing with our newest go-to material; PETG. 
  • Reboot button on fatal errors – It is now possible to reboot a printer using the touchscreen interface when you ran into a fatal error
  • Digital Factory connection prevents if host of a printer group – Grouping printers is no longer supported. Connecting a printer to the Digital Factory will automatically remove it from the group it was in. If a printer is the host of a group, it must first dissolve the group before it can get connected. 

And we also fixed some bugs:

• Added delay between ER34 occurrence – This should lead to more success in recovery from the error code, leading to a decrease in fatal error occurrence 
  • Added delay between ER80 occurrence - This should lead to more success in recovery from the error code, leading to a decrease in fatal error occurrence 
  • Fixed a bug for Digital Factory leading to repeated error messages - Error messages were wrongly displayed multiple times in the Digital Factory. This is fixed 

Ready to use firmware 6.4? 

USB Update (.swu file): 
o    Ultimaker S5-R1
o    Ultimaker S5-R2  
o    Ultimaker S3 

Recovery image (.img file): 
o    Ultimaker S5-R1.img
o    Ultimaker S5-R2.img 
o    Ultimaker S3.img 

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · Introducing Firmware 6.4 for S-line printers

Little text Bug

Should be "110 von 1500 h" I think

IMG_20210519_153927.thumb.jpg.63d60533c2feba10e871f79e5aa34841.jpg

Otherwise the Update is Working so far 👍

Edited by Jonas98
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Jonas98 said:

Little text Bug

Good catch! I've looked it up and it looks it was introduced in 5.5 or 5.6. It will be fixed in the next release.

• Like 1

Cura somehow has another versioning-system, it asked me to update my S5 to firmware version 6.2.1 (it had already v6.3 installed) 🤔. The Printer itself showed the correct v6.4 and installed it.

56 minutes ago, glx said:

Cura somehow has another versioning-system, it asked me to update my S5 to firmware version 6.2.1 (it had already v6.3 installed) 🤔. The Printer itself showed the correct v6.4 and installed it.

Yes, we are working on that.. Cura can be stubborn now and then 😉

On 5/19/2021 at 4:21 PM, Jonas98 said:

Little text Bug

Jonas this bug will be fixed in 6.4.1, do you want your name to be mentioned in the release notes? 😉

14 hours ago, sj3fk3 said:

Jonas this bug will be fixed in 6.4.1, do you want your name to be mentioned in the release notes? 😉

👍

Yes why not 😄

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, not sure if this was introduced with this release, but I noticed an annoying bug:

When loading a new material, at the end you need to confirm material extrusion. Previously, if you didn't confirm extrusion, the printer would auto-confirm after a minute or so and stop extruding.  
    However, last week I forgot to confirm and ended up wasting a ton of material, today it almost happened again 😅

It would be nice if you could re-introduce/fix that feature!  
    I do understand that auto-confirmation might not be super-reliable either (what if something went wrong and no material extruded?), but you could always show a small dialog after extrusion was auto-confirmed to let the user know they should make sure everything is loaded correctly before printing :)

Or have the extrusion pause after a minute with a continue button to make sure the user hasn't left the room.  Or cooling a bit and/or slowing extrusion to 1/10th speed (if you are worried about over cooking the filament).

Afaik there is still a timeout after five minutes or so. How large is the amount of filament during that time? It can't be more than 10cm of filament wich is less than one permille of a whole 750g spool.

I understand that there are more expensive filaments where one does not want to lose more than necessary. But that would just be a good reason to stay with the printer during priming and confirm the extrusion at the right time, wouldn't it? Please don't forget that it is important to see that the material extrudes normally for getting a good print.

On 6/10/2021 at 3:24 PM, Chaphasilor said:

Hi, not sure if this was introduced with this release, but I noticed an annoying bug:

When loading a new material, at the end you need to confirm material extrusion. Previously, if you didn't confirm extrusion, the printer would auto-confirm after a minute or so and stop extruding.  
    However, last week I forgot to confirm and ended up wasting a ton of material, today it almost happened again 😅

It would be nice if you could re-introduce/fix that feature!  
    I do understand that auto-confirmation might not be super-reliable either (what if something went wrong and no material extruded?), but you could always show a small dialog after extrusion was auto-confirmed to let the user know they should make sure everything is loaded correctly before printing 🙂

We are going to look into it!

• Like 1

Another not so nice thing that happend top me just jet: (UMS5 Bundle)

Printed something with PLA black Nozzle 0,4.

Removed the print. (Filament stays in tube but 3cm away from Print Core)

I had to print something with the same filament but another nozzle...So:

-Click change print core

-Changed the print core to 0.25

-Started print

but...Last time the Print Core 0.25mm was used with white filament...and in this constellationthe printer is not priming/cleaning the nozzle

Since upgrading, have noticed that the display will not go into sleep mode. Stays on all the time when the printer is not in use?