Mac OS Big Sur 11.4 with Cura 4.9 - can't move objects anymore

cucumber_qt

Posted · Mac OS Big Sur 11.4 with Cura 4.9 - can't move objects anymore

Hi,

My bug is the following: I can't move the objects anymore in Cura 4.9 running under Mac OS X 11.4. I tried several old versions and did complete uninstalls (Yes, removed ALL remaining files regarding Cura) - but it doesn't work.

Strange about the whole thing is, that the camera is losing the regular position. Usually it's centered in the middle of the printbed, but now it's centered to the left. There is no possibility the grab the object with the mouse. CMD + A (Or Windows. STRG + A) is selecting the object, but all functions like scaling or moving is not working.

Has anyone an idea, what I still could tried?

Thanks a lot.

Hi @cucumber_qt do you have a M1? We currently not support M1 since there are some incompatibilities between the library OpenGL and the firmware used by the latest macbook. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fvrmr said:

Hi @cucumber_qt do you have a M1? We currently not support M1 since there are some incompatibilities between the library OpenGL and the firmware used by the latest macbook. 

Thanks for the answer. Yes, I do use the M1. Cura has already run with the M1 - I don't get, where the bug comes from? Is there any roadmap when this will be fixed?

As far as I know the bug with the M1 chip is related to a library which is used in Cura, but the library itself is currently not ready for the M1.

Same problem here. Can't move or even select the objects anymore by clicking on the object. 2 days ago it worked fine. I have a macbook as well, but not the one with the M1 chip, so I don't think that this is the problem. Anyone knows how to fix this?

10 hours ago, Smithy said:

As far as I know the bug with the M1 chip is related to a library which is used in Cura, but the library itself is currently not ready for the M1.

Yes, I understand, but a few days it was working here as well. Cura was running for a few weeks on the M1 - there has nothing changed during that time.

It it not always the same. I have/had the same issues since Big Sur on an Intel iMac too. I have the feeling that it is fixed or even better since the latest Cura release. But it was not always there, it worked for days without any problems. Then suddenly it occurred again and then I had it several times during slicing one single project - very strange.

And on my new M1 Macbook I use Cura only from time to time, but I have there the same behavior as I have with my Intel iMac. It works sometimes, sometimes not.

A workaround (not always) is that you open a dialog box, like a dialog box from a plugin for example. After you close this box, you can select the object again - but not for long. I think the Cura about box also works for this workaround. 

Personally I am not sure if the problem/bug with this external library is really related to the M1. I have the feeling it has problems with Big Sur generally, regardless of whether Intel or M1

I seem to have exactly the same problem which I discovered today after not having printed for a week or so. I am using Cura 4.9.1 on a MacBook Pro (Intel I5 processor) with Mac OS Big Sur 11.4. Firstly, when I open Cura, the build plate is not centred as it always used to be. I can move this manually, but it is strange that the default position is partly off the screen. Also I can't rotate the object on the build plate. I can only select the object from the object list (not by clicking on it) and if I click on the circular rings to rotate an object then the object becomes unselected. Cura has always worked great for me until now. Unlike other users, I find that opening and closing a dialog bog does not fox the problem, even temporarily. Can anyone help me? I currently have an object that I need to print, but can't do so until I rotate it by 90 degrees. 

Interestingly, I have also noticed that I can no longer save a gcode output to a file of which I can choose the name myself. I now get an automated name like CE3_f023551c-......... which isn't very intuitive. This feature used to work. I don't know whether the two problems are related, but thought it worth mentioning.

Many thanks, Mike.

just as sudden as it came, it went away again...

everything is working fine for me today...

I wish I could say the same. I'm still dead in the water. 

So I have been in the process of switching computers. On the old one (a much older Macbook Pro that had Catalina I was still using Cura 4.7 and everything was fine (sure, things got weird sometimes but the same as any other program really). I'm moving to a newer Macbook Pro (still Intel-based) with Big Sur and I installed Cura (4.9.1) today and I can't select anything. Found this forum post, so at least I know it's not just me, but there doesn't seem to be any solution that I see.

I had seen some others talk about adding 'full disk access' rights to Cura for some slightly different mouse issues in other threads, but I tried that and it didn't make any difference. For the moment I can probably live with it and just use my old computer if I need to manipulate objects separately (since all I can do is select all objects) but a fix would be good!

Posted (edited) · Mac OS Big Sur 11.4 with Cura 4.9 - can't move objects anymore

Did you have the problem which MikeH_uk described? If i'm opening Cura, the printbed is not centered anymore. 

Edited by cucumber_qt

5 hours ago, cucumber_qt said:

Did you have the problem which MikeH_uk described? If i'm opening Cura, the printbed is not centered anymore. 

Yeah, the build plate is not centered when it opens either. I hadn't thought too much of it since I can at least move that.

Posted (edited) · Mac OS Big Sur 11.4 with Cura 4.9 - can't move objects anymore

For what it's worth, today I performed updates much of my computer for other reasons. So the OS is completely up to date, as is Parallels and all MS office programs even those they should not affect Cura. Unfortunately, the Cura problem still persists and I am still unable to print because I can't rotate the object to be printed into a sensible orientation. Is anyone in Ultimaker actually reading this thread? 

Edited by MikeH_uk
    typo correction

@MikeH_uk Do you use Cura with a second monitor?

Hi fvrmy, Yes. I do. I tend to have the design tool in one window and Cura in the other. In fact, I have three monitors in total if you include the laptop screen along with two external monitors. I can try removing one of these?

Hi fvrmr, I think you're onto something! Following on from your question, I opened Cura using just the native laptop monitor (without the two external monitors), and Cura behaved perfectly. I could select and rotate objects on the build plate that incidentally opened in the centre of the window. I connected up my other two monitors and found that I could move the Cura window between monitors, but only the laptop monitor allowed correct operation, the other two external monitors would not allow me to select/rotate objects. Also, if I move the Cura window from the laptop monitor with the object centred, to another monitor, the build plate moves to be largely off the screen. It really is that simple. I can switch from a working Cura to a failing Cura just by moving the window between monitors. Obviously, it's a bit clunky, but I'm now out of jail.

Does his help you work out what is going on and develop a fix?

12 hours ago, fvrmr said:

@MikeH_uk Do you use Cura with a second monitor?

Hi fvrmr, I didn't quote you before, so please see the above two replies that I think are very relevant to this problem.

Edited by MikeH_uk
    typo

So it definitely seems multiple monitor related. I have 2 external monitors. If I move the Cura window to the actual laptop screen it works fine - and if I close the laptop so that only the external monitors are going it works on one of the two.

47 minutes ago, cmdonnell said:

So it definitely seems multiple monitor related. I have 2 external monitors. If I move the Cura window to the actual laptop screen it works fine - and if I close the laptop so that only the external monitors are going it works on one of the two.

Looks like Ultimaker now have a good lead to follow up. If you've ever watched Columbo - "Now, just one more thing......"

Just tried opening Cura on my main iMac screen and everything seems to be working normally. Running Cura 4.9.1 and macOS Big Sur 11.4 on a 2017 Intel iMac with a second monitor attached. I usually have Cura on the second monitor. I was also unable to select a model by clicking on it.  "Select all" works but I was not able to rotate or reposition any of the selected items. I could still right click and set up to slice multiple copies of whatever was selected.

On 6/7/2021 at 10:13 PM, MikeH_uk said:

Hi fvrmr, I think you're onto something! Following on from your question, I opened Cura using just the native laptop monitor (without the two external monitors), and Cura behaved perfectly. I could select and rotate objects on the build plate that incidentally opened in the centre of the window. I connected up my other two monitors and found that I could move the Cura window between monitors, but only the laptop monitor allowed correct operation, the other two external monitors would not allow me to select/rotate objects. Also, if I move the Cura window from the laptop monitor with the object centred, to another monitor, the build plate moves to be largely off the screen. It really is that simple. I can switch from a working Cura to a failing Cura just by moving the window between monitors. Obviously, it's a bit clunky, but I'm now out of jail.

Does his help you work out what is going on and develop a fix?

Just tried this out. It's crazy - it's working. Opening cura on the laptop at first and then moving over to the external monitors is solving the problem. 

When I open Cura on the external monitor, the build plate is not centered, as written above. If i move it to the native monitor, it's centering automatically - and stays in this position after moving back to the external monitors.

For me, it's a workaround I can live with, but would be nice it will be fixed anytime.

Thanks a lot.

Hi all,  I am having the same problem with Cura but I don’t use second monitors.  BUT I do have the laptop with Cura running connected to another laptop on my network.  Since reading this thread, I tried Cura on the first laptop while the second lap top was shut down  and Cura worked fine.  Haven’t tested further yet but thought it worth adding my two bits to the discussion