Printing w/third party filament on S5

Posted · Printing w/third party filament on S5

We were just gifted with 12 kg of PolyLite, both regular PLA and PETG, and I cant use it!

Inserting the new filament into our S5, i choose "generic -> PLA" and it sucks it through the bowden tube. Upon waiting for it to extrude through the nozzle, it seems like the print head wont reach a high enough temperature, and the feeding-wheel makes a noise and the forwardmotion of the filament stops. 

My guess is that the filament hasn't reached a high enough temperature to get the proper flow, and the filament stagnates inside the head. Unloading it shows that the filament indeed has melted, but probably not enough?

How to I tell the S5 that its PLA Im trying to feed it, and also increasing the temperature? 190-220 range should be enough (according to Polymaker).

1 hour ago, kongklas said:

How to I tell the S5 that its PLA Im trying to feed it

As soon as the printer cannot detect the UM chip it should ask for you to identify the filament type you are loading.

Well, I am inputting it is generic PLA, but the nozzle-temperature is obviously not enough since the gear pushing the filament starts to slip. It makes quite a bang right before it slips, so its nothing mechanical wrong.

PETG typically prints at 220C.  You can go into the TUNE menu on your S5 after you start the print and adjust the nozzle temp.  I think it's in the "..." menu in the upper right corner.

Or you can just set the nozzle temperature in Cura.

For PETG on my S5 I have been telling Cura that it's CPE and adjusting only the temperatures in the profile.  When I load the PETG I tell the S5 it's CPE as well.

If you are getting clogging with 3rd party PLA - first of all - are you sure it's PLA?  Put a bit of "PLA" filament in a coffee cup with hot water in it.  Measure the temp.  PLA should be soft like clay in the 52-60C range.  If you bend the filament it stays in the new position when hotter than 52C.   PETG and other materials pretty much all are stiff/strong below 70C.

If it's still having trouble printing - try real PLA - if it's having trouble with that then something is wrong with your printer and we can discuss that next.  Most likely I'd say is the fan in the print head door (not the side 2 print head fans).

Thank you, @gr5! Telling the S5 it was CPE made it squirt through - exactly what I was struggling with. Downloaded the printprofile from Polymaker and it prints like a charm.

Sidenote: I've printet probably around 7-8 kg of Tough PLA and would never buy a third party filamente, the convenience and time saved is greater than the extra cost of the Ultimakers filament (as well as the excellent compability w/PVA and Breakaway).

• Like 1