App crashing when trying to manage profiles

gil80

Posted (edited) · App crashing when trying to manage profiles

it doesn't load anymore. just stuck on the splash screen logo LOADING UI

8 hours ago, gr5 said:

Please post the cura log file.  Go to "help" to see the log file location.

Edited by gil80

Posted · App crashing when trying to manage profiles

Location for cura log file depending on your operating system:

%APPDATA%\cura\<Cura version>\cura.log (Windows), or usually C:\Users\\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\cura\<Cura version>\cura.log
    $USER/Library/Application Support/cura/<Cura version>/cura.log (OSX)
    $USER/.local/share/cura/<Cura version>/cura.log (Ubuntu/Linux)

2 minutes ago, gr5 said:

Location for cura log file depending on your operating system:

%APPDATA%\cura\<Cura version>\cura.log (Windows), or usually C:\Users\\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\cura\<Cura version>\cura.log
    $USER/Library/Application Support/cura/<Cura version>/cura.log (OSX)
    $USER/.local/share/cura/<Cura version>/cura.log (Ubuntu/Linux)

Thanks.

Attached.

cura4.9-logs.zip

I figured a cura expert would have looked at this by now.  Unfortunately not.

Well this line stands out a little bit:

Unable to create a folder for scripts: C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.9.1\resources\scripts

Try running Cura as admin.  Right click on the launching icon for cura and there should be a "run as administrator" option.  It's just a warning (not an error) but could be an indication of the problem (cura can't write to it's own folder).  Or maybe not an issue.

Also try disabling firewalls and similar things (virus checkers) - at least to see if that's related.  Not a permanent solution of course.  Just a test.

On 6/13/2021 at 3:16 AM, gr5 said:

Try running Cura as admin.  Right click on the launching icon for cura and there should be a "run as administrator" option.  It's just a warning (not an error) but could be an indication of the problem (cura can't write to it's own folder).  Or maybe not an issue.

This solved it.

Seems odd though. I believe this is not a common problem, otherwise it wouldn't be required.

Generally speaking, Cura should not be ran as administrator. Doing so may result in other issues (like not being able to run Cura normally, ie not as administrator).

On 6/12/2021 at 7:16 PM, gr5 said:

It's just a warning (not an error) but could be an indication of the problem (cura can't write to it's own folder)

Cura should not even try to write to that folder. Programs should not be able to write to folders in Program Files.

7 hours ago, gil80 said:

Seems odd though.

Yes.  Definitely odd.

On 6/14/2021 at 9:27 PM, ahoeben said:

Generally speaking, Cura should not be ran as administrator. Doing so may result in other issues (like not being able to run Cura normally, ie not as administrator).

Cura should not even try to write to that folder. Programs should not be able to write to folders in Program Files.

Then how can we try to figure out why Cura does try to write to that folder?

Is there a setting somewhere?

Can this be brought to the developers attention?

I just checked, and though I can run Cura 4.9.1 just fine without administrator rights, my logs also include that line about being unable to create a folder in the program files tree. In other words: this particular warning is probably not the reason Cura will not start on your system without Administrator rights.

1 minute ago, ahoeben said:

I just checked, and though I can run Cura 4.9.1 just fine without administrator rights, my logs also include that line about being unable to create a folder in the program files tree. In other words: this particular warning is probably not the reason Cura will not start on your system without Administrator rights.

ok.

this problem didn't happen initially when I started using Cura a week ago.

it only started when I opened the profile menu to try and save a cusom profile.

that's when it took about 10 minutes to unfreeze and since then every time I tried loading Cura, even version 4.8, I had this issue.

Removing Cura and reinstalling it didn't solve the problem.

I then created a new windows user and Cura opened quickly for that windows user, just like it did with my original windows user when I initally started using cura.

The moment I tried to open the profiles menu (i.e., the drop down profile menu from the right pane) the problem appeared again.

Do you have multiple displays? If so, disable all but one and try starting Cura again.

1 minute ago, ahoeben said:

Do you have multiple displays? If so, disable all but one and try starting Cura again.

just one display

UWQHD

Then I am at a loss

Just an update:

I've done a Windows 10 In-place Upgrade using Microsoft Media Creation Tool.

It did not fix the problem.

I'm not saying it's a problem with Cura. I just want to see if anyone else is experiencing the same issue and hopefully we can find a solution.

I actually believe it's Windows fault.

If you don't mind losing all saved profiles then try cleaning those all out.  What you do is go to "help" and locate your configuration folder/folders and delete everything in there.  I can never remember if you need to delete things in one folder or two so I'd just delete in both maybe?  There will be separate folders for each version of cura you have installed (I'm not talking about the code in c:/program files/, I'm talking about folders that are created when you first launch cura).

Anyway exit cura, delete all those folders, restart cura and it will recreate those folders from scratch.

This should fix any problems that occurred when you first saved that profile.

Personally I don't customize profiles.  I use a different process - I save *project* files instead.  As far as I can tell it leads to much less headaches and I do it for the exact same reason that people use profiles (to save my custom settings - and different settings for different types of prints and materials and such).

By the way I recommend deleting those saved profiles for *all* versions of cura because when you first launch cura if the folder is missing I believe it looks at older versions of cura and tries to convert the older custom profiles and such.