Empty spool

makingzone

Posted · Empty spool

Hello,

I'm looking empty spools to use with the faberdashery filament. If anybody who live in Europe or in Switzerland and trash their empty spools, please, contact me. I'm very interesting...

or

If you know where I can buy it, your information is welcome...

Thanks

Posted · Empty spool

Just as a little warning. I've seen a couple of guys post about their filament "exploding" after putting it on spools. I think the problem was that the filament was put on the spool after it had soaked up some moisture from the air, then while on the spool it dried out, shrunk slightly and fractured into pieces.

Posted · Empty spool

what is the best way to use filament not on the spool like faberdashery material.... just lie it on the ground behind the printer and let the extruder pull it up ?

Ian :-)

Posted · Empty spool

I also just received my first faberdashery material two days ago and was thinking about how to handle it.

Does one risk the filament to break when just lying beneath the printer? Can it be twisted and blocked? Is it an advantage to put it on some kind of rotary disk so there is a uniform tension on the filament?

I was also thinking about spools but the curvature of the faberdashery filament is rather different than it would have on the spool. After experiences with other, very brittle, PLA I'm just careful.

Posted · Empty spool

I just put it on the floor. Putting it on something that rotates easily (like a "Lazy Susan") helps to avoid tangles. If you just leave it on the floor like me you have to keep an eye on it. As the filament is dragged into the machine the coils get tighter and tighter and eventually wrap around themselves and make tangles that look like old telephone cords.

There's also tons and tons of designs on thingiverse if you want to print out holders for it to put on the printer.

Posted · Empty spool

I just put it on the floor. Putting it on something that rotates easily (like a "Lazy Susan") helps to avoid tangles. If you just leave it on the floor like me you have to keep an eye on it. As the filament is dragged into the machine the coils get tighter and tighter and eventually wrap around themselves and make tangles that look like old telephone cords.

There's also tons and tons of designs on thingiverse if you want to print out holders for it to put on the printer.

Did you check my age before writing about the telephone cords...? :wink:

Thanks for confirming the twisting-issue. As I need my eyes elsewhere I will soon visit the next IKEA and by a 'SNUDDA'... (doesn't sound any better actually than 'lazy susan'; in Switzerland, these things do not have a special name (proving the Swiss are boring?)).

I'm actually in the post-holder area. Any specific Ultimaker holder I have seen so far was not very suitable for use with a dual extruder. So I built my own one which is standing on the table close to the Ultimaker and works perfect, even with the most brittle PLA.

Posted · Empty spool

No I did not, I'm 33 and that was the first analogy that came to mind :)

"Snudda" doesn't make much sense for that type of product, it means something like "glance off" is in touching very briefly. Maybe they're referring to ball bearings barely touching? I dunno, maybe they're just running out of words :p

there are of course larger spool designs available on websites like youmagine and thingiverse, just you need to print them. i had to return a load of Fabadashery filament as it wasn't on a spool, and too big to fit in the small space my UM is in :(

Hello,

I'm looking empty spools to use with the faberdashery filament. If anybody who live in Europe or in Switzerland and trash their empty spools, please, contact me. I'm very interesting...

or

If you know where I can buy it, your information is welcome...

Thanks

I've run into a similar issue, and after snagging a few spare spools from one of my colleagues, I found that spooling Faberdashery filament on it doesn't work too well, simply because it wants to go back to the larger diameter.

cor3ys pointed me to this design: LINK, and he's apparently had good luck with it after modifying the ID of the hub to 50mm to fit his spool holder. I haven't yet had the chance to print one up or modify it yet.

I've also been told that Faberdashery will start selling certain filaments on a spool sometime in 2014.