Designed a hollow dome on sketchup however when sliced on cura the design is changed

henchen99

Posted · Designed a hollow dome on sketchup however when sliced on cura the design is changed

Hi, 

I recently came across a problem when printing in cura (same problem occurs 4.7,4.9 haven't tried others) where I designed a hollow dome in Google Sketchup and when sliced in cura, the design seemed to completely change no matter what orientation I try to print it. If I print it 'the right way up' then the walls for some reason are printed thin, a bottom layer is added (which I have set to 0 in the picture) and the entrance to the dome is covered up, and when inverted, the top of the dome is printed completely flat and the top almost turns conical. i have added the stl file below.

Does anyone know why this might be happening, what settings I could change or is it a problem with the CAD design. Also note I did the same design in Fusion 360 as well and the outcome in cura is the same.

Thanks very much for your help.

HC

hollow dome.PNG

hollow dome2.PNG

dome_cura_flipped.PNG

dome_cura_flipped2.PNG

dome_cura.PNG

test2.stl

Posted · Designed a hollow dome on sketchup however when sliced on cura the design is changed

There's nothing wrong with your STL file.  It's water tight.  Normals look good.  And it slices just fine for me in either orientation.  

315136160_Screenshotfrom2021-06-1108-22-10.png.a44cce881ff833353d62b335cf0b6f17.png

Please attach your project file - it will contain your STL, your machine (printer) settings, filament settings, and all your hundreds of cura settings.  Do menu commands "file" "save project" and post that file.

Wait - make sure "remove all holes" is unchecked in mesh fixes.  In fact make sure all the mesh fixes are default.  When I do "remove all holes" I get something similar to what you describe.

Also check the Z value position for your part.  Did you lift if up off the table on purpose?  I'm guessing yes.  It's normally zero but you can lift it up a few mm when printing in your "bowl" orientation to get consistent support.  Click on the part, select the MOVE tool on the far left of cura and look at the Z value.  Normally it's always zero.

Hi, thanks very much for your help. 

I checked all my mesh fixes, and they were all set as default (I haven't touched them at least!), and secondly in the photo I sent previously, the z value was set to 0 already, below is a clearer picture without support showing what it looks like, it seems to add a bit onto the bottom making it flat.

I also attached the project file below.

image.thumb.png.a12fc87bd59db3836459b9d9fc945f2e.png

dome_cura_project.3mf

Posted (edited) · Designed a hollow dome on sketchup however when sliced on cura the design is changed

I moved the model in the 3mf file up 50mm.  The STL file does the same thing.  I was thinking that it was the model.

image.thumb.png.29a09e21feb7650da670fabf072b5fae.png

I designed one in AutoCad and got the same situation.  Mine is on the right.  (It has a flat bottom when on the build plate too.)

image.thumb.png.5650c4950226800556d28a973b3ed2d9.png

Here is the original STL in Cura 4.6.  It's a bowl.

image.thumb.png.f8afc08658d9391aa2870a719c9de18f.png

And here it is in 4.9.1 again, this time with "Make overhangs printable" turned off.

image.thumb.png.4db0b3a3abaa1f2a1a2e78729a7c02c2.png

Edited by GregValiant

Ah yes wow perfect, the 'make overhangs printable' was the key problem, thanks very much to both of you for the help!

• Like 1