Example Settings

jaylab

Posted · Example Settings

As a beginner I'm trying to use Cura 4.9 with a Geeetech A10 printer to print a 100mm dia dish 30mm high from PLA to hold water. I have tried increasing the top, bottom, and side wall thicknesses since my 1st prints leak, but my changed settings only make things worse! Apparently the settings are interactive.

Can someone provide me with complete settings that can result in a reasonably sturdy non-leaking print?

Thank you for any help!

-Jay-

I made a filter some time ago, and indeed, when using standard settings, a lot of tiny water jets came out all over the surface.

Solution: print very slow, in thin layers, and at the lowest edge of the temperature range (because otherwise, if sitting too long in the nozzle at high temp, the material may decompose or burn). But it will take a long time to print.

Alternate solution: post-process the print (if PLA or PET) with dichloromethane, which also helps sealing tiny openings. Search for my post about "smoothing PLA and PET with dichloromethane" for photos and more info. Or seal by painting or varnishing.

Thanks for the info, I had thought my settings were in error and will try your suggestion of slowing things down and using a lower temperature.  I will hunt for your post about smoothing.

Thought I might try sealing the print with slow cure 2 part epoxy. I'm surprised this PLA part can't be successful by printing alone!

-Jay-

The leaks come from when the nozzle jumps to another layer, or another part on the same layer. Just that transition-spot tends to have tiny holes. Printing faster and in thicker layers, worsens the effect, as the beginning and ending of the "sausages" are rounded. Put two sausages next to each other on a table, and you will see the same effect on a big scale.

My leaks seem to appear from what appear to be well printed areas, so will try to slow down the print and reduce layer height,

In my attempt to change settings the print time has gone from 2 hours to over 24(!) however.

Thanks for your in depth help. The thread on smoothing is very interesting.

-Jay-