PVA filament stuck in print core

r_moeller

Posted (edited) · PVA filament stuck in print core

Hello,

I have an issue quite similar to the one mentioned here.

https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/36621-please-help-pla-filament-stuck-in-brand-new-aa04-print-core/?tab=comments#comment-286978

Although my print head fan was not working due to filament debris caugth in the fan, the filament wasn't melted between print core and print head enclosure. Instead it was kind of bent between print core and the lifting mechanism above print core 2 in a way that I wasn't able to pull it out or push it through the core.

By disassembling the print head I was able to pull the print core out but unfortunately I am still not able to pull the filament out of the core. Maybe it's baked higher up from the nozzle?

I am afraid if I use greater force I will rip it apart close to the inlet of the print core and I woludn't be able to do a hot or cold pull on the core.

I am thankful for a suggestion how to proceed on that.

Rainer

IMG_20210621_164705.jpg

Edited by r_moeller

Posted (edited) · PVA filament stuck in print core

Hi @r_moeller,

I've never used red PVA, however if the PVA is melted stuck inside the tube, you may need to disassemble the core.

It might be possible to separate the "cooling cylinder" from the brass heating block without damaging the fragile tube connected to the nozzle/heat block. If this can be done safely, it may be possible to boil the PVA out of the tube as it will be dissolved easily in hot water.

However, look through this video before starting disassembling the core.

Someone else might have additional information about this problem.

Only the unit disconnected from the nozzle/heat block is to be boiled, the cooling radiator and tube.

See this video for more info about details to do this, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln_tMz8Dwd0

Have a look at this video from: https://www.thegr5store.com

@gr5, is a member and a moderator for this Community and I'm sure he might chime in here for further assistance if you'll need so..

Good luck

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    More info.

Posted · PVA filament stuck in print core

Hello Torgeir

thank you for the link to the video. It's a bit frightening but as the filament won't move at all inside the tube I don't see how to get it out otherwise. Meantime I will have a look in my wallet, maybe I have to buy a new core.

BTW: The red PVA is Formfutura Atlas (PVA based). I feel that Ultimaker PVA became more and more brittle over time as I mostly print only the support interface with PVA. So a 1 kg spool lasts to long. And also it seems to stick better on PETG that I use most time.

Rainer