Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
znib

Feature request: 3D mouse support

Hi all,

I'd just like to add a my support for an updating fix to cura for 3D mouse.

I've been using cura or six months or so and just loved it, but after just one week of having a 3Dmouse am very disappointed that I cant carry over my new found freedom/increased work speed.

There is a little landing gear assembly demo in the 3Dmouse settings thing and after practicing just 5 or 6 times I compared the  timing/travel/mouse click stats with a new attempt, with just the mouse.

The timing/travel/mouse click stats were (almost) double for the regular mouse.

Like most people I have been using a mouse for 20 years +.

3dmouse 1 week.

Have you tried this exercise @kmanstudios 

I'm also AS affected and would like to add the 3d mouse satisfies my need to simplify anything to its core and would be most unhappy to lose its advantage.

Many thanks

I was referring to the Thingiverse link.

What is it you do not understand?

From a user point of view, all you have to do is copy the listed files to the specified locations and it should work.

As it says in Thingiverse:

" Cura.xml is the config for 3dconnexion software and goes in "C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxWinCore64\Cfg"
CameraTool.py goes in "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 3.2\plugins\Tools\CameraTool"
Restart the 3dconnexion software and open Cura: it should work right away
You can check if the Cura.xml cfg is loaded by hovering over the 3dconnexion system tray icon while Cura is in focus. "

Edit: It should be noted that the actual Cura location will depend on the version you have installed. So, just substitute "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 3.2\plugins\Tools\CameraTool" for your version number.

Edited by kmanstudios

Again I apologize,

I am a Carpenter and only a 3D modeler at the most basic hobbyist level and have very no experience in that particular "all I have to do" category and at this moment I do not understand.

However reading your last post and its edit has definitely made me feel that i need to learn what you say is simple, and I shall now try to implement the advice. Every day is a day at school.

I still would like to firmly give my vote for an in Cura fix.

Many users other would befit from the absence of hunting for fixes.

Thanks again.

3 minutes ago, spacebob said:

I still would like to firmly give my vote for an in Cura fix.

The best way to implement something like this is for people who use a spacemouse to try it, give feedback and then see if it can be just implemented in cooperation with the person who authored the fix. It would also be the fastest way concerning people that may use 3RD party printers that may create a conflict of some odd origin.

It would be the fastest and easiest way for this than relying solely on Team UM to do this. For them to implement and test would require someone to  gain access and use of a spacemouse. I would be hesitant that UM would purchase the thing to do this in a quick pace.

5 minutes ago, spacebob said:

Every day is a day at school.

Yes, it is. At every level. Modeling, printing, etc. Difficulty is at the level of each person that uses the software. Some people may be mechanical and not technical in quick understanding. But, once you gain a few insights, it does become easier. Unless you have a tech person there to explain it to you, it may be difficult to get instructions more attainable in understanding at your level over the internet. The internet is great for getting information, but it cannot point and lead in real time like a person who could work with you in person.

I did the cut and past as I did because, honestly, I do not think I could make it more clear. That may be my limitation. All of my instruction experience is based on being there in person and examples, not over the internet with written instruction.

I made sense of it.

The first file just went in but the second needed to replace another file so the old one is gone now.

does that mean i need to re install if I want to put it back as it was? Because...

It only kind of works.

its very jerky for orbit and pan, workable, but poor compared to all other programs.

The in and out is completely the wrong way around. Annoying.

Edit: The zoom/inout on the scrollwheel on mouse is still working the right way so..

def better than nothing.

Thank you for your help and indeed your time.

Clark.

Edited by spacebob

23 minutes ago, spacebob said:

The first file just went in but the second needed to replace another file so the old one is gone now.

does that mean i need to re install if I want to put it back as it was? Because... 

An old trick...old as the home computer, is to rename the file it is trying to overwrite. I use the old method of just calling the old file 'name.old.' Where 'name' is the name of the file. Do not mess with that. Just the 'f-extension' or 'file extension.' It causes no harm. Just makes the system not 'see' it for use.

I have not had time to dig my spacemouse out to test it with. I am pushing to get a lot of prints done before I get surgery. So, not very helpful there, but your feed back is valuable.

Also, check to see what your spacemouse settings are for Cura. I believe you can reverse some things in there.

• Thanks 1