Air manager needs constant rebooting of printer

Emerald
Go to solution Solved by Emerald,

Posted · Air manager needs constant rebooting of printer

Hi you all,

during maintenance I removed the Air Manager and now I'm not sure if the Air Manager is working properly. I needed to clean the feeders and couldn't properly access all screws, notably the feeder tension bolt, so I removed the Air Manager while the S5 was powered off. I used this  guide to remove the Air Manager and this guide to clean the feeders.

After powering up the S5 the prompt pops up according to the guide:

Upon rebooting the Ultimaker S5, a popup will appear on the touchscreen informing that the Air Manager has been disconnected. Select Yes to confirm the removal of the Air Manager.

but in the settings menu it still says "Install", so I click it, the S5 then needs to reboot, and after reboot I'm to square one as the same prompt from above pops up.

Unplugging Air Manager, turning off S5, turning on S5, plug in Air Manager, Install didn't help.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

Hello, have you tried doing a factory reset and reset your printer settings? From your post I can't immediately detect anything you did wrong, but that should probably help you to install the Air Manager again and get back to where you were. Good luck! 

Thanks for your reply.

The printer is currently in a group, and it is NOT the host. Do I need to remove it from the group first to avoid further problems?

Hi, I don't think it is relevant that your printer is part of a group. But your comment did make me think that you are not on the latest firmware yet; in May we introduced firmware 6.4 which allowed users to use a new feature in the Digital Factory called; Digital Library. This would eliminate the need of groups and should be an improvement to your workflow. Perhaps consider updating your firmware while you are at it too. You can read more about it here.

Good luck! 

Oh, thanks for the heads up! Currently updating both printers. Was working from home for the most time of the year so far and couldn't perform all necessary maintenance steps. Will report in a bit.

Say no more, I also haven't been in the office for over a year! But I might again next week for the first time, exciting! How did you do with the finished prints, others were in the office? I know some companies also allowed their staff to bring Ultimaker's home, or sometimes even bought additional for this reason. Good luck with updating, let us know how it goes!

Some colleagues were in the office and kindly removed the prints from the bed. But they can't refill filament and do maintenance services. I was in office roughly once per week. We're connected via VPN and have access from home.

And it still feels risky to start a print from remote and usually I avoid it, because I can't check if the first layer is perfect etc. 

That's why the two printers are connected via group and our IT department won't allow Digital Factory btw. Need to group them again, when the  Air Manager is working properly.

So far the firmware updates are successfully installed but the error with the Air Manger remains.

• Solution
    Posted (edited) · Air manager needs constant rebooting of printer

I managed it!!

I reset to factory settings btw.

I physically removed the Air Manager while the S5 was powered off, restarted the printer, turned it off again, set the Air Manager back on top of the printer, checked all cables attatched, and restarted the printer again and violà, the setup was completed without the mentioned prompt. 

So check the cables if the prompt keeps showing up lol.

Edited by Emerald
    • Like 1

Any particular reason why they won't allow Digital Factory? If it is due to security, we've also enabled a firewall option. You can read more about that option here 🙂

Happy to hear you got it back to work! Happy printing!

Unfortunately they did't say.

Thanks, onward to the next issues that need tweaking, but that would be a different thread.

Thanks for your help