Printing third party materials using S5

sami835

Posted · Printing third party materials using S5

I have purchased a spool of the BASF Ultrafuse 316L and was able to add the material on Cura 3D along with the recommended print settings. However, the printer (Ultimaker S5) was unable to detect the material upon loading. I tried adjusting all the settings using Cura to overlook that and still attempt a successful print; however, the print always ends up extremely distorted from the original design. How can I let the printer detect the material so it could automatically set the optimum settings. Also, if that may not be the issue, what recommendations would you suggest when printing using this material. (BASF Ultrafuse 316L)

Thanks.

The printer will not auto detect the material, only UM spools are NFC enabled, but after you have installed the material profile in Cura, as mentioned above, restart Cura and during the startup Cura should send/sync the material profile to the printer. Then you can choose the material from the list during the load process.

But don't expect too much from the profile on the printer, the profile and its settings are only used during the load/unload process. Everything else which is related to the print itself comes from the Cura settings. So when you are not happy with your print result, you have to tune the Cura settings, but the synced profile on the printer will not help.

Unfortunately I haven't printed yet with Ultrafuse 316L, so I cannot help with settings.

• 1 year later...

smithy, thanks for the note but I have a non Ultimaker also, and I would like to add/access the BASF Ultrafuse 316L and their Ceramic Support material.  The online documentation states that the update Cura (I have 5.2) supports metal printing.  

We have a metal compatible, IDEX printer, it is printing beautifully with Cura and I want to begin to print a series of stainless steel parts, so we can test to see if it works for our needs.

1.  it automatically configure the base plate (to control shrinkage and distortion

2.  can add the support layer of ceramic

3.  is the correct profile for slicing from an STL 

4.  I also believe it automatically scales the parts.

these are all essential to our use of the material so if you can guide me on how to install and set-up this "metal" setting on my printer it would be a great help.

thank you

thomas