Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
gadgetfreak

Bricked UM2 after trying to upgrade to 14.01 firmware - SOLVED

Hi,

I've tried to upgrade the UM2 firmware that comes with Cura 14.01, from Windows 7.

When "Uploading firmware" progress bar appears, it does not finish.

After 5 minutes or so of waiting, I cancelled manually with the upper right cross.

I power cycled the UM2 unit and now it seems bricked with a garbled displayed so I assumed it has begun - but not completed - the firmware image...

Bricked UM2 after 14.01 firmware failed update

I have read that the initial Cura 14.01 upload contained a wrong firmware, but I just downloaded it from software.ultimaker.com so it should contain the correct one I guess.

The file size as reported by Windows Explorer properties is

23,5 MB (24 659 879 bytes).

I even tried to uninstall Cura 14.01, re-download from another browser and re-install, but still hangs at "Uploading firmware". It should only take a couple of minutes at the most from what I recall?

I have not yet tried rebooting the computer as I have some other tasks running that I can't disturb right now.

Anyone else with the same problem?

Problem solved by - I was able to upload the new firmware using another Windows 7 computer!

It actually took two tries - it seems somehow important that the UM2 is powered on before the USB cable is inserted...or perhaps it's because I bricked it first?

Also it might be that my primary workstation has a bit overcrowded USB chain with a lot of devices attached? But it has worked well in the past.

It's a bit ironic that Cura 14.01 states "Improved USB communication stability" but people seems to be having problems updating the firware over USB :p