Reload Models with Different File Names

billedluh

Posted · Reload Models with Different File Names

First time post

I don't know if this is unique to my workflow, but I run in to it all the time.  I load the model, set up my settings, put in some support blockers or other customizations, and then in the preview I see something that I need to tweak in the part design.  After I've made the changes it would be great to be able to re-load the new design and keep all the settings, but my CAD workflow means that the tweaked version has a different file name (rev_01 vs rev_02).  Since I'm picky about keeping track of which exact version this is that I'm printing, I have to redo all the setup.  So for me it would be great to be able to manually re-load the part from a user selected file. 

Would anyone else appreciate this?

• 1 year later...

I run into the same issue.  I basically need an option to "reload from file".  I worked around the issue by just using the same stl file for all versions and keeping my versioning in my CAD software, but in my case right now, I decided to move the folder with my scratch stl files and there is no way to point CURA to the new location of the model file.

A workaround is to rename the stl file always to the same file and use the F5 feature where it reloads the STL files.  I mean this saves you a lot of time positioning blockers and such.

Then after slicing save the resulting gcode file to match the correct version name/number.

Posted (edited) · Reload Models with Different File Names

That does not work unfortunately, at least not in CURA 5.  This is because the model is reloaded from the .3mf project file instead of from the original file location.

To replicate this issue:

Start a new project

open an stl file

Save the project

change the stl file and save it with the same name as before (change to the model should be easily discernable)

reload the model in Cura

Edited by gg48gg

ahoeben, Thank you!  Works for me!  Good workaround!  This should probably be addressed in the base code.