Filament Recycler

Posted · Filament Recycler

The company I work for recently bought about 20 printers, all UMS5 Pros I believe. We have been going through a lot of material and wasting some. I feel bad throwing away bad prints or the ends of spools. I have started looking at recycling or re extruding filament to print with again. Does anyone have any experience with this? I have looked at the Filabot but that is very expensive. The ReDeTec ProtoCycler seems to be a more reasonable priced machine. Do you recommend a different machine?

How does the filament print after being re extruded? I know you can not mix materials. I mainly print with PETG but I do not know what the other people use. I would guess PLA or ABS. How long do these machines last? In order to justify it we would have to have the machine pay it self off over 4 years or less. With the ProtoCycler that is $73 a month or 1.5 spools (750 grams, $50 a spool) a month we would need to make. This seems reasonable with 20 printers making waste. 

Is there a company in the US that takes 3-D printer filament to re extrude or recycle? Does anyone pay for it? Just looking for ways to not be so wasteful with all the printer we are doing.

Posted · Filament Recycler

I like to save the remnants of the end of the spool filament for hot and cold pulls.

You can google for places that recycle other parts of waste. It will depend on your locality and what you would consider appropriate expense for shipping if need be. We have one here in NYC...or had...I am not sure after the pandemic....

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies