Ultimaker S5 Bed level sensor bad

yzorg

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5 Bed level sensor bad

Hi guys

i have a bad leveling sensor. i guess..  

almost every time i try to print it will fail its initial bed leveling procedure and therefore stop.

when i then go to diagnose the bed sensor it tells me about 50% of times it has a bad connection 50% is says beeing at error..  (also, that diagnose takes for eever to run...)

Wiggling the cables, replugging, restarting the hole machine sadly has no effect.

so i cant print.

i found i need a new bed-sensor board.  does somebody know where i can order that piece?

Edited by yzorg

Posted · Ultimaker S5 Bed level sensor bad

Hi

I don't think a new sensor board will solve your problem. There is basically nothing on this board, except the two wires. A common failure is that one of the two wires got loose on the board itself. Double check that. 

Another failure could be that one of the cooling fans have a problem. Sounds strange, but they interfere with the sensor. Check also these wires of both side fans. Check if the isolation is somewhere damaged.

Then the bed itself can be the reason. Try if it gets better when you turn the screws at the bottom to raise or lower the glass. After that do a manual leveling. If the distance is too high or too low, the sensor gets often wrong values and the active leveling fails.

The sensor logic with the electronic part is on the print head PCB and this is much more expensive than the sensor board, so we should first check all the other possibilities. 

• Like 1

Regarding the distance between the plate and the glass, I found a picture from an older post I did in the past:

image.png.b7273519888fd13f938c6db9dda04325.png

It doesn't matter if you are off a little bit, but to get a feeling what is a working distance.

• Like 1

Hi there.

Just come to think about this issue.

You may check this tread, here you'll find some interesting tip.

Check the insulating on the right side (under cartridge 2), -the insulating over the right hand side"locking tab" for the captive sensor plate. If this happen during leveling or when printing with nozzle 2, this could be the error.

There is two locking tabs holding the captive sensor plate in position the L/H side tab do not need insulation.

These two metal tabs is not grounded. However, on the R/H side the ground power cable (for the cartridge heating element) is very close to this insulated tab. So if there is a short at this point, the bed leveling will fail.

As this cartridge can/is moving up/down quite often during double core printing, -this is a critical point to check that this insulation (the black heat shrink tube mounted on this tab) are without signs of wear and tear.

Thanks

Torgeir

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

also, my print quality improved by orders of magnitude.. i get supersmooth prints now..

i had quite brutal ringing on my prints..

all fixed by the latest firmware update.   Nice!   i thought my settings or the settup was the problem.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 2