Problems with 14.01

kevin-osborn

Posted · Problems with 14.01

I downloaded 14.01 and updated the firmware on my ultimaker 2.

I'm now having frequent instances of the build plate not lowering at the end of the job (leaving an ugly attachment that if I don't heat the nozzle, it tears the print apart if I lower the build plate manually)

Also, weird slicing things, like no fill or top layer generated when I use certain layer sizes (works fine at .1mm, but not good at .25)

Very reproducible if you want test cases.

-kevin

I couldn't figure out how to upload files here, so here's a zip on my google drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0aIlZUp_wk4dmtVQ2YzY0I2Zk0/edit?usp=sharing

cura14.01-250micronlayer.ini

s the profile for the fast/fat layer rendering that seems to miss on the fill and top layer.

I was doing a bunch of printing at this resolution when I first noticed the problem. When I initially switched back to .1mm resolution and back, it was ok, but I changed the fill and back, and then it was exhibiting the no-fill and no-top again, in spite of having a 10 or 20% fill and definitely a top layer.

bad output here:

cute_octo_top_hat-250micron.gcode

cura14.01standard.ini

is a .1mm layer height profile that slices fine, but seems to lack the ending gcode in the output:

cute_octo_top_hat.gcode

and the original stl (downloaded from (shudder) thingiverse) is:

cute_octo_top_hat.stl

Looks like a bit of a bug in cura, and maybe a bit of a problem with the model. When I was just slicing it in Cura, I couldn't get it to generate infill no matter what I did - although I always got the flat top surface (and I'm seeing a flat top in the 250micron gcode you uploaded).

I think that the problem is that the sides of the main cylinder project fractionally through the concave surface under the hat - and that's confusing Cura. Even the 'fix horrible' settings didn't seem to make any difference. It always printed hollow inside. I thought that it was just designed with a hollow space inside, but I loaded it into Netfabb and sliced it in half vertically. And there isn't an inner skin. But equally, netfabb didn't seem to find any problems it wanted to fix, although there seemed to be some rough edges on the concave part.

Perhaps Daid can take a look and see what it's doing.

Did you download 14.01 today? Or at least after the initial release came out - there was a problem with the firmware included when it first came out, and a revised version was released a few hours later, with better firmware. Make sure you have that one.

hmm. I think I downloaded it right away, I re-did, and re flashed. Set up a print last night, and now can't remove the filament (the print failed about a third of the way through because the filament stopped feeding. I've tried pulling on it in change material mode, but it doesn't budge. Probably unrelated, any suggestions?

UPDATE: I managed to remove the filament by disassembling the feed drive (tricky to get the screws back in....) Even though I'd successfully printed for a while, it looks like the filament was big enough to get stuck and then stripped out in such a way to not be able to be pulled out. Note that this filament wasn't cheap, but it was sold as 3mm filament in a local store (velleman label). I won't use it again (on the UM2)!

I wish vendors listed the diameter, I don't see anyone advertising 2.85mm other than ultimaker, and that's really expensive to order from the states.

“I'm now having frequent instances of the build plate not lowering at the end of the job (leaving an ugly attachment that if I don't heat the nozzle, it tears the print apart if I lower the build plate manually)…”

After I solved all the under extrusion problems due to bad filament supply to the nozzle (spool problems, filamernt guide tube moves when changing material or retraction, etc, etc), I finally could reach the end of some printings. I faced the same problem that Kevin mentioned.

As a matter of fact, the printer turns OFF and immediately ON, at the end of the job. Sometimes it stops with the nozzle attached to the piece and other times goes just half way to the home position. Also, the “printer cooling” down that usually show in the LED when using 13.xx CURA version, does not appears anymore. It looks like the printer has just been turned ON and ready to start a new job in spite of the bed and nozzle still hot.

I am using the right version of CURA 14.01 (the afternoon version). Do you believe it worth uploading the same firmware again to check if it solve the problem

Thanks for any help.

Mario

I love printbl.com in the USA. They make very good filament. 2.85mm (even though it is called 3mm).

The 'fixed' version of the firmware should be marked as 14.01.2 in the Maintenance -> Advanced -> Version screen on the UM2. Is that what you have?

“I'm now having frequent instances of the build plate not lowering at the end of the job (leaving an ugly attachment that if I don't heat the nozzle, it tears the print apart if I lower the build plate manually)…”

After I solved all the under extrusion problems due to bad filament supply to the nozzle (spool problems, filamernt guide tube moves when changing material or retraction, etc, etc), I finally could reach the end of some printings. I faced the same problem that Kevin mentioned.

As a matter of fact, the printer turns OFF and immediately ON, at the end of the job. Sometimes it stops with the nozzle attached to the piece and other times goes just half way to the home position. Also, the “printer cooling” down that usually show in the LED when using 13.xx CURA version, does not appears anymore. It looks like the printer has just been turned ON and ready to start a new job in spite of the bed and nozzle still hot.

I am using the right version of CURA 14.01 (the afternoon version). Do you believe it worth uploading the same firmware again to check if it solve the problem

Thanks for any help.

Mario

That's what I have now (try two), and it's working much better.

I noticed the failing to home problem on an openSCAD generated model as well. If that particular model was bad, so be it, but I'd like to make sure it consistently ends things.

For OpenSCAD models you might want to disable the Fix-Horrible type A.

I'm also not seeing a problem with the file you uploaded, except for the fact that you used 0.2% infill, which is very close to 0% infill.

Doh!

* facepalm *

I just loaded Kevin's settings from the gcode, and totally failed to notice it....

Might not be a bad idea to add an error check on values that are intended to be percentages, to warn where values are non-zero, but less than 1, to save us from ourselves. Once you get into that mindset, it can be really hard to see what should be an obvious mistake.

For OpenSCAD models you might want to disable the Fix-Horrible type A.

I'm also not seeing a problem with the file you uploaded, except for the fact that you used 0.2% infill, which is very close to 0% infill.

Note, I've just found and fixed a problem that caused the fix-horrible-type-A to misbehave on high polygon models. Most likely causing the problems with the OpenSCAD models and filled holes (I collected a few models that showed the problem and did some tests).

Disabling type-A is a good workaround. But just wanting to let you guys know that I fixed it for the next version.

I am also very unhappy with 14.01. On some retractions pulls back the Ultimaker too much. This means that afterwards material is missing. This looks like under-extraction. I have some prints so lost.

Edit: my workaround: back to 13.12 and everything works as usual

I found on the new firmware in 14.01 if abort a print, then go to advanced -> move material, the extruder will not move and no beeps are hear when I rotate the wheel. Neither does the filament advance. Resetting the printer fixes this.

Micha-Z - did you change the firmware on the printer, or just the version of the program used to slice the file?

I found on the new firmware in 14.01 if abort a print, then go to advanced -> move material, the extruder will not move and no beeps are hear when I rotate the wheel. Neither does the filament advance. Resetting the printer fixes this.

I can confirm that.

Micha-Z - did you change the firmware on the printer, or just the version of the program used to slice the file?

With firmware 14.01 on Windows7 AND firmware 14.01.2 in the printer the bug exists.

With firmware 13.12 on Windows7 AND firmware 13.12 in the printer the bug not exists. I can reproduce this.

A mix I have not tested.

I think this is a known bug that's fixed for the next release.

I am also very unhappy with 14.01. On some retractions pulls back the Ultimaker too much. This means that afterwards material is missing. This looks like under-extraction. I have some prints so lost.

Edit: my workaround: back to 13.12 and everything works as usual

Did you upgrade the firmware, though? Or are you using the firmware from 14.01 with 13.12? Looks like I am having the same issue as you.

If you installed the UM-Orignal 14.01 firmware, this contains an update related to retraction speed. There was a bug in the older version making the speed much lower then intended. Causing a speed of 45mm/s to being actually 20mm/s

The new firmware fixes this bug and sets a limit in the firmware on 25mm/s, however this limit can be overriden which will most likely cause your filament to slip.

(Too little push-back after retraction is impossible in the GCode from the CuraEngine by design)

I quote myself ;)

With Cura Software 14.01 on Windows7 AND firmware 14.01.2 in the printer the bug exists.

With Cura Software 13.12 on Windows7 AND firmware 13.12 in the printer the bug not exists. I can reproduce this.

A mix I have not tested.

Micha - is you problem on the UM1 or the UM2?

If on the UM1, then yes, as Daid said, retractions are now going to happen much faster than before. You need to set your retraction speed lower in the slicer - start with 4.5mm at 25mm/s.

Sorry, I forget. It is an UM2.