Problems with 14.01

kevin-osborn

Posted · Problems with 14.01

By the way - you can have many different versions of cura installed at the same time (well maybe not on a mac) and you can have them all running at the same time or whatever you want to do. There's no need to ever uninstall.

I try to describe the problem better. I'm using:

- UM2 with firmware 14.01.2

- Windows 7 with Cura 14:01

A lot of layers are printed normally. At irregular intervals, the following happens:

The print head stops very short, the extruder motor clacks in rapid sequence 3-4 times. It sounds like normal under-extrusion due to too low temperature for example.

But that's not it.

Under-extrusion clacks each 1x in relatively regular intervals.

Here it only happens as described above and the extruder jumps within 1 second 3-4 times back. Then as normal printed with missing material. A gap in pressure occurs.

The best way to imagine it so:

There is a normal "retract", but the extruder motor does not pull back rather pushes front. That would be a possible explanation, and describes the effect at best.

This happens quite sporadically. Anyway, I can not detect a pattern.

Does anyone have a similar behavior observed?

The bad news: this effect i can see under 13.12 too :(

Does it happen at the same place if you reprint the same gcode?

Also, it could be that the filament is getting hung up on the retraction, causing skipping on the detraction? What retraction settings are you using?

Make sure that your bowden tube is properly seated in the teflon connector at the hot end, and that the bowden doesn't move during retractions.

Does it happen at the same place if you reprint the same gcode?

unfortunately not. it happens sporadically.

What retraction settings are you using?

The factory settings.

Also, it could be that the filament is getting hung up on the retraction, causing skipping on the detraction?

Make sure that your bowden tube is properly seated in the teflon connector at the hot end, and that the bowden doesn't move during retractions.

Both checked. It is as it should be.

Any chance of taking a video of it happening...? From the way you're describing it, it's doesn't sound like any problem I've heard anyone post before.

A video ist problematic. Yesterday I printed a 15 hours job with the same material and the same settings (layer, temp, speed, etc.) but another object. There were no problems, absolutly zero!!

Perhaps the problem appears only with certain models and is thus difficult to reproduce. I have a file stored with which I have always problems.

Problem solved. The cause was the SD card being used. Probably read errors. A new SD card has solved the problem. The hint was:

At irregular intervals, the following happens:

The print head stops very short, .....

Ok, good to know. Glad you got it working.

Just upgraded to latest Cura 14.01 - and temperature control of my UM1 is not very good any longer. Graph shows nice sinus curves and temperature goes up/down 10 degrees either direction. Previous versions has been rock steady after a couple of minutes of operation. (13.x)

Kaz - when you say that you upgraded to latest Cura, did you also upgrade the firmware as part of that?

Kaz - when you say that you upgraded to latest Cura, did you also upgrade the firmware as part of that?

Yes - and a bit more info - the huge swings in temperature is when doing large fill's. When just doing walls temperature is quite stable - but not as stable as 13.x.

Do you print infill faster than the outside walls?