Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

UM2+ Connect Firmware sucks? Am I missing something?

ZD3D

Posted · UM2+ Connect Firmware sucks? Am I missing something?

Longtime user and lover of ultimakers here since the start: I personally own an original, X2 UM2gos (the best ones IMO) and a UM3 and at work I manage a large fleet of X2 UMs5, X2 UM3, X2 UM2go, X8 UM2+ and now we just got X4 UM2+ Connects. We also have about 10 other "pro level" (expensive) printers. We have around 30 printers total.

We run the Tinkergnome firmware (ver16, anything newer has a fatal bug, please fix that Mr. Tinkergnome) on all the 2+ versions, this firmware makes them my most used printers out of all of them, yes including the ones that cost between 30k and 80k. This is because with tinkergnome everything is visible and tunable, it feels like a professional tool such as a CNC machine, not a toy.

Ive had the UM2+ connects for over a week and the Hardware is a great upgrade, but the firmware is like a child's toy.

To us this is a MAJOR step back and is a total deal breaker for me, Where is the tune menu? Wheres the printing data?

For example: when the machine is warming up the screen just has text that says "the machine is warming up" and nothing else, no number, no status bar.

When we got the S5 I was disappointed by how few options are in the menus but with the UM2+ connects you cant even change temps or feed rates while the machine is running, let alone see any data at all. ......Even my cheap 200 dollar Ender3 shows me this

So am I missing something? Help me out because Im ready to throw these glorified toys in the trash and get old UM2+ machines on Ebay

Is this thing even running Marlin??

REQUEST: Pro level firmware for the UM2+ Connect that has ALL options and shows ALL data, even options that will crash/break the machine if used improperly by an idiot.

Rant over, Thank you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ZD3D said:

So am I missing something?

Unfortunately no, you don't. The UM2+Connect prints great but you are right, feature-wise there are only the basics implemented. The UM2+C uses a new board, the Onion board in this is limited in memory, so don't expect too much, but I am sure a few things will come in the future. I use the UM2+C since the beginning and we get from FW version to FW version additional features. But I don't think we will get the feature set from the UM2+ or the Tinkergnome FW. 

On the other hand, I really like the printer and in most cases I don't really miss the features. It is currently the most used printer I have, because it is so reliable and just prints in great quality. 

An important difference between the UM2+ and the UM2+C is that the former has firmware that is completely open source so that it could be enhanced with additional features by @tinkergnome (and others). The firmware for the Onion board mentioned by @Smithy is not open sourced, making it much harder - if not impossible - for intrepid community members to create an alternative firmware with additional features.

Hi ZD,

Thanks for your feedback. Question  - are you missing the tuning parameters because of a lack of quality prints? My own experience with the machine mirrors Smithys, it is reliable with great print quality out of the box. Tuning after the print job is started is understandable, but in general we find that its more important that we get reliability and quality in one go correct. Most (not all, ofcourse) people want to hit the print button and just collect their item after the fact, no hassle. This was deemed priority number one.

Showing stats is also request we're aware of, so you'll definately see this at some future firmware update, but I cannot speculate as to when .

#metoo
    Ultimaker disappointed me too with there Apple style approach of GUI's. We are engineers! We have to deal with technical systems. As ZD3D calls it, not with toys. An simple temperature indication would have safe me an hour on finding out the wrong profile was selected for some part. Feed-rate an speed are also not that hard to plot on the GUI. And maybe it's the lake of processing power for the display but the "fade" effect between selection and menus is on addition of the poor rotary button extremely toy feeling.

Please give us tools to work with. Not a toy with one play button!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MIO said:

And maybe it's the lake of processing power for the display but the "fade" effect between selection and menus is on addition of the poor rotary button extremely toy feeling.

@MIO The mentioning of 'rotary button' seems like you refer to the UM2(+) ?  This thread started about the interface for the UM2+C which is very different with a touch screen.

6 hours ago, Szahari said:

Hi ZD,

Thanks for your feedback. Question  - are you missing the tuning parameters because of a lack of quality prints? My own experience with the machine mirrors Smithys, it is reliable with great print quality out of the box. Tuning after the print job is started is understandable, but in general we find that its more important that we get reliability and quality in one go correct. Most (not all, ofcourse) people want to hit the print button and just collect their item after the fact, no hassle. This was deemed priority number one.

Showing stats is also request we're aware of, so you'll definately see this at some future firmware update, but I cannot speculate as to when .

Szahari,

Thanks for the response, but No, I'm not missing the tuning or data because of bad prints. I do this for a living, my prints come out perfect on every printer I own.

Im missing the info and tuning because the "no hassle" "magic button" approach is NOT REALISTIC! In the real world you need to be informed on your process, adaptive and flexible. This machine is NOT THAT.

For anyone who runs printers  24/7 you will know that any printer, even my 80,000 dollar printer, is NOT A MAGIC BUTTON. Things fail in weird ways, parts wear out, ect...

I need to be able to do diagnostic testing and troubleshooting.

I need to be able to watch a print run take some notes on the running data in real time to improve processes.

If Ultimaker intends on going to the "no hassle" "so easy a cave man can do it" route with all products like Makerbot did then this company is fated for the same doom.

I choose Ulitmaker BECAUSE I can work on them, BECAUSE I can modify them, BECAUSE they WERE open...

Posted (edited) · UM2+ Connect Firmware sucks? Am I missing something?

On 7/16/2021 at 3:12 PM, CarloK said:

@MIO The mentioning of 'rotary button' seems like you refer to the UM2(+) ?  This thread started about the interface for the UM2+C which is very different with a touch screen.

Your right. But fact is it covers the same complainment. If Ultimaker keeps aiming for "No hassle" "Plug and play" "Every moron can print if he is able to push an button and don't care about engineering" then, Ultimaker is not making the products that fits my needs and i will get to another brand. Sure there will be enough cavemans that like to 3D print, but i like to engineer stuff. Not just print funny toys that are nice to watch.

Edited by MIO

The "no hassle" and "plug and play" approach is important for professional users and industries. They need systems which work out of the box, so they can produce their parts in less time and with less resources. They are not really interested or have the time in fine tuning everything, they just want to print and get great results.

Personally I like to tinker but I am also lazy and like that I have the possibility to print plug and play. And to be honest when you did the first prints and see you can trust the system and the settings from the profiles, you just send the print job and forget it. I don't check the printer or first layer or whatever anymore. My printers are on a different floor and I just send the job and go to the printer when print has finished. 

If I want to tinker and engineer with a 3D printer I would probably buy one of the Chinese printers, there you engineer, repair and mod 99% of your time and when you are at the point to print something you probably print Benchys or other calibration objects to get another reason to mod something else on the printer 🙂 Perhaps a bit exaggerated, but you get what I mean.

To get back to the original topic, compared to other UM printers, the UM2+Connect has currently less firmware features, but to be honest when I use the printer I miss nothing.

Thanks for your personal statement. But i think you probably not going for the best result for every (technical) part you can get. That's fine. Not everyone has the same needs. And of course there are many Apple style users that like to power up and use it as it appears. But for me as an engineer i like to know every detail of what my machine is doing so i can tweak it for my needs. Special PLA, faster printing, stronger models, specific quality requirements are one of those. But as already sead, if Ultimaker keeps aiming for Apple style then this brand will loss me as an customer. I will find some other brand.

Edited by MIO

I also do some tuning if needed, as you say, special filament or whatever, but then I do it during slicing and not during printing. Also with my UM2+ printers with Tinkergnome I tuned very rarely during printing. But just my very personal experience and workflow. Maybe also because I like the Apple style and and I am a bit of a fan boy of Apple since 20 years and never looked back 🙂 

I also feel quite quite strongly about this. Would love to have more information visible to us. Even if you have to toggle on an advanced mode in the settings to see it.

@ZD3D 100% with you there. Unfortunately the only thing I can do is share my shock, again

It is the 1st UM I buy but might very well be the last. I bought mine, as explained in that old thread because I wanted to support development (so not buying a "copy-cat" with a thin layer of dev). I also bought UM because I am not a 3D printing expert so as others have suggested in this thread, I did want the "turn key" solution or as you said, critically, the magical button but NOT as the cost of being able to tinker!

So ... I'm very sorry you had to go through this but you are not alone in being deeply disappointed.

I understand that you are disappointed because the printer has not all the features you have maybe expected, but I think you should be fair to say that this is not the fault of the printer or of Ultimaker. You just bought an Ultimaker printer without checking before if the printer has all the capabilities you need. The UM2 range is the older one with Arduino board and open source firmware but no developer mode, the S-line printers have a developer mode to hack something you need and the UM2+Connect is on a completely different platform with a closed firmware and no developer mode. So depending on your needs you, can choose the best printer for you. It is the same when I would buy an UM2Go and be then disappointed because the bed size is not big enough for my print job.

From my experience with the UM2+Connect, I can say that it is my most used printer, because I don't have to worry about tinkering, tuning or hacking. I just slice and send the print job. I never had the need yet to tune something or do some hacks in the firmware. That is exactly what I need. If I want to have everything open source, I would probably buy Prusa, Creatily or something like that.

So your mileage may vary, but the UM2+Connect is the perfect plug and play printer for users who just want to print.

Yes, I trusted UM as a brand as I didn't have the knowledge sufficient to know if a board was new or not. I expected the model to be as tinkerable as the others because it was the trend. I took a risk because it was the new model and there was no feedback yet. I misunderstood UM as a company and clearly I was not the only one as OP is much more knowledgeable than I am.

Edited by utopiah

You can still trust UM as a brand, they offer great and stable 3D printers - nothing more.

But are you unhappy with the printer on its own, beside that you cannot integrate it into your smart home or something like that? Do you really miss something you need for daily print jobs?