Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
dgsharp

"Move material" flakiness

I recently upgraded to Cura 14.01 and installed the associated new firmware on my UM2. Since then I have had issues with the "Move material" command. I have used it many times in the past, but now it appears that when I try to use it (often after a filament change to help purge the last material, for instance) I have perhaps a 50% (maybe even less) chance that it simply doesn't do anything. I select "Move material", wait for the head to heat up to temperature, and spin the wheel, and there is no audible sound that usually tells me that the stepper is at least trying to extrude. Just nothing. I fix it by power cycling the machine and trying it again, which usually (though not always) seems to fix it.

Has anyone else seen this?

-Dave

Hi Dgsharp

Yes i have also noticed this for the last couple of days, I did a material change and once the material hit the nozzle the feeder stopped feeding so i then went to manually move material in the advance menu and nothing, all it did was heat up the nozzle but i had no movement of material when Turing the wheel. i had to start my print wait for material to come through then abort the print once the nozzle was primed and start the print again due to no manual way of moving material.

The original version of Cura 14.01 had a bad UM2 firmware bundled. You might check which version you have... the current 'best' firmware should indicate its version as 14.01.2 when you go to Maintenance -> Advanced -> Version in the controller.

If you don't have 14.01.2, then please go re-download Cura and update it again - and if you do already have, please report back here, so we can investigate further!

Note, the 14.01.X firmware contains an update that prevents moving the material if the machine is doing "something else" so it no longer crashes into the bottom when you home and move-material at the same time.

This change might be causing the problem, not sure why yet...

Ah, thanks for the heads-up illuminarti. I didn't see any difference on the website but I re-downloaded it and checked the executable and the new one has a creation date about 24 hours newer than what I'm running. I will give that a try as soon as my machine is done printing.

Hi Guys

Just done a test i'm using 14.01.02 the error seems to come when you do a material change..

I just done another material change and straight after the change i went into advanced menu and selected move material and all it did was heat the nozzle i can not move the material...

When i turned the machine off and back on then went into move material it then worked so it seems (at least for me) after change of material you can not go in and use move material straight away without reboot of the machine..

Hope that helps in some way...

P.S. i could not get it to repeat the error where when changing materiel when the material hits the nozzle it stops feeding instantly which i have had happen twice over the weekend (which led me to discover not being able to move material straight after material change)

Hello Dave

I have had the same exactly problem since updating firmware to 14.01.2 on my UM2.

I have increasingly had to use 'heat nozzle/move material' to get started after changing material. ( I have also been using the start print wait for it to come through, abort, start again trick but it doesn't always work).

After the update as you say - not a sound (nor anything else) 50% of the time when trying to use 'move material'.

I have not tried the switch off, switch on again method but I will try it next time I have to change material