Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Cura profiles import/export between new versions: allways a pain in the a...


Recommended Posts

Posted · Cura profiles import/export between new versions: allways a pain in the a...

Cura is nice but when you want to upgrade to a new version, it's allways a problem to have your own profiles up and running.

 

I have exported my profiles from a previous Cura version, when I want to import them it's often not possible.

 

As found somewhere on this forum, this is a way to solve it:

 

1. Set material type to generic PLA and the nozzle size to 0.6mm. With these settings were my profiles shown. If you can't see yours try all the nozzle sizes and even then might my work around still work.

2. To have all my profiles shown with 0.4mm nozzle the following steps are required.

In the folder of your profiles (i would strongly recomend making a copy of all profiles at that point in cases something goes south) rename the profiles from .curaprofile to .zip.

3. unzip the two files in the new zip document.

edit both via editor and change 

"quality_type = draft"
"setting_version = 6"

to

"quality_type = standard"
"setting_version = 15"      (check the newest version for the version numbber)

or

"quality_type = super"
"setting_version = 15"

(for super fine printsettings)

4. zip them together again and change the .zip back to .curaprofile

5. import

 

But that doesn't work allways, on the moment I got this error:

 

"Failed to import profile from D:/CURA/profiles/UM3/INMOOV.curaprofile: Quality type 'fine' is not compatible with the current active machine definition 'ultimaker3'."

 

On the moment the best way is to see all settings of the specific profile with the "Profile Analyser" plugin, print it and make a new profile with the data..

 

Would be great if this profile import/export tool could be improved a lot, it's still not working very good....

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Cura profiles import/export between new versions: allways a pain in the a...

    What is exactly the problem with just upgrading or just importing the profiles? I'm pretty sure that both of those (especially for Ultimakers) are part of our smoke test for every version. So i'm a bit suprised to hear that it doesn't work.

     

    If you don't trust the local storage, you can also use the built in cloud based backup system (you can find it under extensions)

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted (edited) · Cura profiles import/export between new versions: allways a pain in the a...

    1) Profile import/export system doesn't work very good and needs improvements...

     

    For example: I have a exported a nice profile for my UM3, fine quality, PETG: 'inmoov.curaprofile'.

     

    When I do a fresh installation of Cura (all old cura-data erased), install my UM3 again and try to import the cura-profile backup, the program complains that it's not possible to import. 

     

    I have checked the stored profile (it's a zipfile, renamed the extension to .zip): then I see 3 files. 

    Seems to be those profile files are only contains the changed settings based of the used base profile. In my case I used the base profile 'fine'.  And this is the case where it goes wrong, in a new Cura configuration you start with a few basic profiles: as soon you store a profile as a new one, all default profiles are gone..  When I start with a fresh Cura installation, add my printer and add eSun PETG, I see only a base profile 'draft'. If you search for Ultimaker profile issues on the internet, you will find enough hits...

     

    Personally I would be very happy if it was possible to export/import a profile which is COMPLETE (all settings, not only the diff settings based on a used base profile).   Also it would be great if was possible to import a profile from for example a UM3 to the configuration of another type of printer.

     

    2) Profile settings vs 2 extruders 

    Something else: if you use 2 extruders like with the UM3: you can store a profile, but for example the skirt extruder is always extruder 1 or 2?   That's not allways what you want, example: you have PETG Blue in extruder1 and PETG YELLOW in extruder2 and you have a nice profile for both extruders (same settings for both extruders). Now you want to use only extruder 1 to print something, with the current software you must check your profile first and change the selected extruder for the skirt, support, etc first to extruder1. Otherwise your print will be made by both extruders.  Same thing if you only want to use extruder2.  

     

    I really like Cura, but the profile import/export system needs a lot of improvement. There are a few plugins now to help you with your printersettings: this is a sign for Ultimaker that this profile/printer settings software really needs more attention and must be improved..

     

    😉 Arthur

     

     

    Edited by knutselsmurf
    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Cura profiles import/export between new versions: allways a pain in the a...
    22 hours ago, nallath said:

    What is exactly the problem with just upgrading or just importing the profiles? I'm pretty sure that both of those (especially for Ultimakers) are part of our smoke test for every version. So i'm a bit suprised to hear that it doesn't work.

     

    If you don't trust the local storage, you can also use the built in cloud based backup system (you can find it under extensions)

     

    PS: try to import this profile, can't import it..

    INMOOV Esun Petg Fine 40% infill.curaprofile

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Cura profiles import/export between new versions: allways a pain in the a...
    17 hours ago, knutselsmurf said:

    Seems to be those profile files are only contains the changed settings based of the used base profile. In my case I used the base profile 'fine'.

    That is correct. Profiles are "delta profiles". They store changes comparatively to a quality type. This wiki page explains a bit more how all that works: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/wiki/Profiles-&-Settings

     

    17 hours ago, knutselsmurf said:

    And this is the case where it goes wrong, in a new Cura configuration you start with a few basic profiles: as soon you store a profile as a new one, all default profiles are gone..  When I start with a fresh Cura installation, add my printer and add eSun PETG, I see only a base profile 'draft'. If you search for Ultimaker profile issues on the internet, you will find enough hits...


    That is because those profiles don't have quality profiles. As such, you only have a 0.1 layer height. It's not the storing that causes it, it's you changing the material to something that doesn't have pre-defined quality profiles.

     

    17 hours ago, knutselsmurf said:

    Personally I would be very happy if it was possible to export/import a profile which is COMPLETE (all settings, not only the diff settings based on a used base profile).  Also it would be great if was possible to import a profile from for example a UM3 to the configuration of another type of printer.
     

    That's unfortunately a bit more complicated as it might seem from first glance. A number of settings have formulas in them (a bit like you can do with excel, saying that the value of a field is the value of another field / 2). The wiki provides a few examples for that.
    If everything is flattend, what should be stored? The final values? The formulas? What if that formula is only defined in a given machine?

    If someone changes the speed from 50 to 60, what should be done if the other machine has a base speed of 60? Keep the 60? Use 70 (60+10?). Use 72 (60+20%)?
     

    17 hours ago, knutselsmurf said:

    2) Profile settings vs 2 extruders 

     

    Something else: if you use 2 extruders like with the UM3: you can store a profile, but for example the skirt extruder is always extruder 1 or 2?   That's not allways what you want, example: you have PETG Blue in extruder1 and PETG YELLOW in extruder2 and you have a nice profile for both extruders (same settings for both extruders). Now you want to use only extruder 1 to print something, with the current software you must check your profile first and change the selected extruder for the skirt, support, etc first to extruder1. Otherwise your print will be made by both extruders.  Same thing if you only want to use extruder2. 


    Why not just disable the extruder that you don't use? I don't see how we can make it easier than a single click 🙂

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Cura profiles import/export between new versions: allways a pain in the a...
    15 minutes ago, nallath said:

    Did you manually change it? The types in the various files doesn't match (left extruder is normal, the rest is draft)

    I think so, long time ago 😉

    Changed the draft to normal, I can import the file now (see new attachment) but when I switch to eSun PETG: the profile is not visible anymore. How can I fix that ?

    INMOOV Esun Petg Fine 40% infill.curaprofile

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Cura profiles import/export between new versions: allways a pain in the a...

    I don't have the esun petg profile, but i guess it's based of "not_supported", so you could try and change the quality_type to that?

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
     Share

    • Our picks

      • The Ultimaker Showcase — October 14. What's new?
        Your dear friends at Ultimaker have some exciting news and insights for you!
         
        • 0 replies
      • New here? Get ahead with a free onboarding course
        Hi,
         
        Often getting started is the most difficult part of any process. A good start sets you up for success and saves you time and energy that could be spent elsewhere. That is why we have a onboarding course ready for
        Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle, Ultimaker S5, Ultimaker S3 Ultimaker 2+ Connect.   
        They're ready for you on the Ultimaker Academy platform. All you need to do to gain access is to register your product to gain free access. 
        Ready? Register your product here in just 60 seconds.
          • Like
        • 8 replies
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...