Cura 4.9 prevents Cura 4.8 reinstall from working IOS 10.11.6

EJP

Posted (edited) · Cura 4.9 prevents Cura 4.8 reinstall from working IOS 10.11.6

I installed 4.9 only to find it won't run. So I deleted it and reinstalled 4.8, which did run before, but now it won't, because it considers the IOS too old. Evidently Cura 4.9 has left something behind itself such that even if I delete it and install 4.8 or even 4.7 it now claims neither of those is compatible with MacOS 10.11.6 either, when I was running them both on this machine at different times. What would that have been? and how do I fix it? Or is there another cause? Presently I cannot use Cura at all.

EJP

Edited by EJP

• EJP changed the title to Cura 4.9 prevents Cura 4.8 reinstall from working IOS 10.11.6
    Posted · Cura 4.9 prevents Cura 4.8 reinstall from working IOS 10.11.6

To get a "fresh install" you really have to delete all the user folders.  I believe they are in two locations and one of the locations is here (IOS is first):

$USER/Library/Application Support/cura/<Cura version>/ (OSX)
    %APPDATA%\cura\<Cura version>\cura.log (Windows), or usually C:\Users\\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\cura\<Cura version>\
    $USER/.local/share/cura/<Cura version>/ (Ubuntu/Linux)

That's probably (hopefully?) the only configuration folder you need to remove although there is definitely a second folder.  I have no idea where it is on the mac.  If you can get cura started you can go to the help menu and it opens both of the config folders for you.

No need to reinstall cura - just exit cura, purge the folders (for all cura versions) and then restart cura.  It will rebuild those folders in a way that is safe (won't crash cura).

However you may be right and the issue may have something do to with other IOS related updates.

Either way if you still can't get it to start, please post the log file (found in the same folder above).

• Thanks 1

FYI the second folder appears to be here:

$USER/Library/Logs/cura/<Cura version>/

However I found both, and removed both, and found no others, and the problem still remains. And the folders did not reappear. So I can't provide logs.

EJP

Edited by EJP
    More info
    • Like 1

You restarted cura and it didn't create a log file?  Even if the program crashes before you see it visually, it should create a log file.

I'd google this forum about problems with Apple computers (you can tell google to restrict to a site like this:  "site:ultimaker.com").  There are many people with problems with their Apple computer and many solutions but I don't understand them (I'm mainly Linux myself) so I don't remember the many work arounds.  Also I think there is a type of Apple hardware that absolutely will not work with Cura at this time.  But I just hear code names of things like "grapefruit bridge" and I don't know if it's a version of IOS or if it's some kind of hardware and I just end up remembering nothing, sorry.

Thanks for your help but I am really expecting an answer from Ultimaker on this. It is certainly not a hardware problem as it has been running for years. The problem was specifically introduced by version 4.9. I don't consider this to be something I should need to Google about, or read Windows- or Unix-related answers about either. The topic is perfectly expressed in the title.

Well those guys are pretty busy but I'll try to get their attention. This is more of a user forum but they answer questions like this every day so your question is probably already answered.

It's easier for them to answer a question like this once and have the hundreds of other people who have the same problem just google for the answer.  They are a small team and are aware of many IOS issues and working on them but I assume management is constantly pushing for new features.  They spoke about a few IOS problems that they know they can't fix.  More related to hardware and video drivers than related to Cura.   If you own an Ultimaker printer you can try the support path.

I may be clueless about Mac issues but I read most of the posts so I have these vague memories.

I think it would help them if you told us what hardware you have as this could be a known issue.

@nallath @ghostkeeper @ahoeben - any ideas?  log file not created for this user so he can't post it.

@EJP, as @gr5 said this is a user forum, which is great because you often get a fast response and we have a lot of knowledge in our community so in many cases we're very capable of helping each other. But it is not an official support system. If you wish to get support from Ultimaker you are probably best off creating a support ticket via this link or create a new issue on our Cura Github page. That is how you can get in touch with our support engineers or dev team. Good luck! 

• Like 2

GR5's initial response is also the only one that Cura itself explicitly creates; the folder in Application Support.

Other side effects of using Cura that I can think of are:

• MacOS creates a system log for every application. That's the one you deleted. MacOS itself created that one so it's probably best to not mess with that (though in this case it probably doesn't damage anything).
    • You may have made file associations, e.g. for STL files to open with Cura.
    • Since version 4.9, Cura also adds a keychain entry upon logging in to store the log-in token more securely. However since 4.8 didn't have a library to read the keychain yet, it shouldn't be influenced by this.

A perhaps more likely cause for the problem is that your operating system itself has changed. For instance, Cura 4.8 didn't have support for Big Sur yet. If you updated to Big Sur since the last time you used 4.8, that might explain why it's no longer working.

If you fill in an issue on Github it'll have a template where it asks for relevant information such as the operating system. This helps to narrow down the issue.

And we're also quite curious as to why 4.9 won't run...

Edited by ghostkeeper
    Addendum about why 4.9 wouldn't run.
    • Thanks 2

i got the same problem you need to stay 4.8.0  i am looking for the file to download any one got it? my mac is running  El Capitan 10.11.6  i run in true problems as soon i install plugins  so i want to start fresh i used clean my mac 3 to uninstall the program the clean my mac  will delete the files you left if you uninstall the regular way , lead me know any one can help with the  file for 4.8  thank you guys 

1 hour ago, caserio said:

ead me know any one can help with the  file for 4.8

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/releases/download/4.8.0/Ultimaker_Cura-4.8.0-Darwin.dmg

You find nearly all versions on Github.

• Like 3

😍 Thank you  i reinstall  the file now is working fine. thank you for the head up Moderator, NOW TIME TO PRINT

• Like 2

Glad I could help and happy printing 😀

> You may have made file associations, e.g. for STL files to open with Cura.

I have indeed. How do I undo that?

NB operating system has not been updated.

EJP

Well I figured out how to change the file associations and that hasn't fixed it either.