Abort Print takes SO LONG + Finished print sequence

Bigbrit

Posted (edited) · Abort Print takes SO LONG + Finished print sequence

Can someone tell me why the UMS5 abort sequence takes SO LONG?

Often I want to restart the print anyways and everything starts to cool down during abort only to heat up again for a reprint.  Having the menu greyed out during this time is frustrating as I want to just get on with reprinting.  Seriously I think the abort and reprint sequence is over 10 minutes!

The finish sequence is also unnecessarily long.  I understand the cooldown part, but why is the bed still raised during this sequence? the nozzle is oozing filament for a little while which ends up being attached to my print as everything cools down just mm underneath the print head.  Why cant the print bed cool in the lower position or the print head move to home for the cooldown sequence?

Edited by Bigbrit

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted · Abort Print takes SO LONG + Finished print sequence

I think it's a recent update that makes the abort so long. I noticed it today too. I haven't had to abort in several months. BUT it is WAY WAY longer than before. I don't like it. And I think your opinion on the bed position is spot on! If the bed was lowered... then that filament would cool before touching the print. Maybe it could be saved if it wasn't oozed all over. 

• 3 weeks later...

I share the same sentiment. For some reason I have been getting the nozzle offset mismatch and if fails the print. Previous to this it would just ask if I would like to restart the print. Now it waits for the bed to cool and then asks if the part was removed (that was never started). It takes 20-30 minutes for this process which is maddening.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm hoping some quick action is taken regarding this issue. I have just been setting up our S5 Pro Bundle. I had thought that the expense of this printer bundle was related  getting far better results and a better experience. But waiting 10 minutes for a print to start and 10 minutes for a print to abort is reminding me of my terrible first 3D printing experience with a Makerbot. Please give us some choice in regard to these processes!

We are using the S5 Pro Bundle and also experience extremely long wait times for aborting prints, even if it is aborted quickly after being sent. Please allow us some way to skip the full cooldown before starting a new print (often times the same print with minor changes)

Posted (edited) · Abort Print takes SO LONG + Finished print sequence
    On 8/18/2021 at 8:50 PM, Bigbrit said:

Annnnnndddddddddddddd this is why I gave up using these forums the first time.  *tumbleweed*

Did it really take you guys 6 weeks to even reply to the report on your own support forum? You guys really need to up your game for a so called enterprise solution.  I just thought I’d check back to see if anything was being done 3 months later...

im using the normal printer.  No way would I ever spend more money on Ultimaker equipment after the experiences I’ve had with this buggy overpriced printer.

Edited by Bigbrit

This is a community forum, not an official support channel.

• Like 3

It acts as the support forum though and has the ultimaker team on it.  Let’s not try and pretend othereise

I'm not pretending, I am stating fact. I believe the official support for Ultimaker products is to contact your local reseller.

Just because there are friendly people here who spend their own free time to help people does not mean that they owe you anything.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bigbrit said:

It acts as the support forum though and has the ultimaker team on it.  Let’s not try and pretend othereise

We don't need to pretend; Ahoeben is right. The best way to get support is to contact your reseller.

For certain things (eg; issues with Cura) you can also report issues on Github.

Fwiw, the latest firmware update has solved this problem for us.

• Like 2
    • Thanks 1

Not for me, latest firmware and the abort time can be never ending!  Had a fan issue, very frustrating to have to wait up to 20 minutes before I could gain access to try to address the problem.  Why does it need to take so long?  maybe if there was an explanation then I would feel more comfortable.

Part of the cool-down process can be shortened using the (unofficial, use-at-your-own-risk) UltiTuner tool:

• Like 1

@Szahari Hey.... 9 months.

Whats up with getting this fixed?

Missed dinner with my family last week because of this. How do we run this up the flagpole? I mean...its just a couple of variables to change. Please!!!!

Tim

Any chance of anything on this?

As much as I enjoy standing waiting for half an hour every other print, it's getting to the point that the machine is so frustrating that I am debating getting rid of it to save my sanity.

Surely an option such as "print aborted - skip cool down and retry?" would work.

Also at a nozzle probe failure. Ok so it fails, but why should I be forced to stand there like an idiot while it cools down only for me to immediately click retry. It's absolutely maddening. "remove part"? It never even started... If it's to stop damage to the machine then it's not going to help when I smash it to bits out of sheer frustration, which I have been tempted to do.

Hours and hours a week wasted on this.

• Like 1

Abort is still takes a long time, it is very frustrating, using the Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle.

Hey @Esrasnatas

Can you try the latest release of the firmware? The one released last week?
    I believe it solves your struggle 🎉

Skip cooldown. At the end of a print (when finished or aborted), the Confirm removal option will be available immediately, without waiting for the build plate to cool down. This improves the end-of-print workflow and allows the next print job to be started faster.

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012055979

• Like 1

skip cooldown is a very welcome update.. just need a re-print button now on the machine to quickly go again after a successful print!

• Like 1

@mrender The re-print button is a bit of a controversial feature. On the UM3 it was possible to start a reprint after a failure, but this was removed in later releases since you often have to perform other actions first to fix the failure. Reprinting would then have to be located in a new menu item and there you want to be able to select from your last 5+ prints. With many of our customers sharing a printer this creates privacy issues and then things get complicated.

The advised way of working is that you use the Digital Factory in the cloud. Here you can queue your print jobs, being it copies of the same job or different jobs. When the finished object is removed from the build plate, the next queued job will start.

where did the skip cooldown option go??

In the past, the "skip cooldown" option enabled you to skip the wait for cooling down the print bed. This feature is removed, because the printer does not take bed temperature into account in the post print sequence. 

Users with a material station still have to wait for the deprime procedure, which takes quite long. This cannot be skipped.

The feature should be made available again, waiting for everything to cool down only to wait for everything to heat up again is a frustrating waste of time and energy especially in the case of an aborted print.

• Like 1

Fortunately the cooldown steps that were previously "skippable" are no longer blocking and you are able to press confirm removal now when previously you were able to press "skip cooldown". 

The machine still needs to perform some steps at the end of a print to get itself into a known and stable configuration, they are the same as the steps that were not skippable before.