Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Remotely confirm 3D print removal


JvH

Recommended Posts

Posted · Remotely confirm 3D print removal

With the Ultimaker S5 I have to confirm that I removed the printed object form the build plate. If I didn't do so I have a problem when I want to send a new design to the printer. It will only be queued instead of printed.  This is very annoying since I have to go back to the printer, in my case going back to work from home to initiate the printing session. Is it somehow possible to remotely tell the printer that the printed object is removed? If not, it would be very helpful to include this possibility in future versions of Cura

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Remotely confirm 3D print removal

    No it is not possible. It is more like a security feature that nobody can start a new print until the object is removed from the bed to avoid damage to the printer. I understand your use case, but I don't think there will be an update to confirm remotely.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Remotely confirm 3D print removal

    Hello @JvH

    I don't know the Ultimaker printers but I do know a bit about automation.  My first question would be:  Who (or what) removed the previous part from the build-plate, and why didn't they reset the printer when they did?

     

    @Smithy, If there is a lockout on the S5 that must be "reset" in order to start a print (and it sounds like there is), and if that "reset" signal is blocked from being accepted from a remote source, then it might be possible to have a custom alteration of the firmware to allow the "reset" signal from both a remote source and from the local source (the existing function on the printer).  I don't know if "removing the block" is the right term or if in fact it might be wildly difficult to do.

     

    I seem to recall from reading around here that @tinkergnome and @ahoeben have worked with the Ultimaker firmware.  There must also be some folk at Ultimaker capable of addressing the issue.  Maybe it's something that could be contracted?

     

    It would seem to me that in the case of a production situation that includes an automated system for removing a completed build plate and replacing it with an empty one, that system would require a remote printer reset before the next print could start(?).  Either that, or the end-of-arm-tool (or pick-and-place) would need to push a button (or something) to perform a manual reset?  It would seem to be much easier to send a remote command to let the system know "build plate is ready".

    In the case of the OP - JvH sitting at his computer at home could check a camera feed to insure the build plate is clear, send the reset if it is, and then start his print or free up the queue.  

     

    I don't know how much of that is relevant or doable.  Many things are possible if you throw enough money at them.

     

    Maybe I'm just showing off my ignorance on a lovely morning.  If that is the case then I apologize for wasting everyone's time.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Remotely confirm 3D print removal

    Basically you are right, it is just implemented in the current firmware that when the print job has finished the printer is waiting that you confirm the removal of the object with a press on a button on the display. The state is stored internally, so just rebooting the printer don't solve it. And currently there is no API function to do it remotely.

     

    But when you put the printer in developer mode, you can ssh into the printer and if you find the place where the state is stored or how to call the "I have confirmed and pressed the button" function, it should be possible. But someone has to analyze the code and dive deeper into the system. It is possible, because it is Python so you can read the code.

     

    Tinkergnome worked on the amazing Tinkergnome FW for the UM2 printers, but they are completely different from the UM3 and S-line printers, so that will not help and work here.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Remotely confirm 3D print removal

    The part had been removed by an employee who was unaware of the necessity to notify the printer that the part had been removed.

    That it is not possible to prevent damage to the printer sounds reasonable, but as GregValiant said, I can see through the camera if something has already been started. The problem arose when I aborted the printing process about 3 seconds after I realized I had forgotten something in my design. Nothing happened in that short period of time. But the printer did not return to the idle state. I imagine it must be possible to recognize that nothing has been printed yet. 

    Can you tell me where I can read more about the mentioned possibility via SSH to give this command. That sounds like the solution to this problem. 

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted (edited) · Remotely confirm 3D print removal

    Maybe the printer could analyze the camera images to automatically detect if the printed object is still on the build plate or not? - And then free the user from pressing the button..

    Edited by timotub
  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Remotely confirm 3D print removal

    "Maybe the printer could analyze the camera images to automatically detect..."

     

    Good one.  Whether it's the printer (not likely) or a computer, this falls squarely under "Many things are possible if you throw enough money at them.".

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Remotely confirm 3D print removal
    4 hours ago, JvH said:

    Can you tell me where I can read more about the mentioned possibility via SSH to give this command. That sounds like the solution to this problem.

     

    Well, the firmware passed through a few iterations since the good old UM3, but here is a comprehensive description. And developer mode still works in the same manner:

     

     

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Remotely confirm 3D print removal
    On 8/19/2021 at 1:29 PM, GregValiant said:

    I seem to recall from reading around here that @tinkergnome and @ahoeben have worked with the Ultimaker firmware.  There must also be some folk at Ultimaker capable of addressing the issue.  Maybe it's something that could be contracted?

    The problem with all modifications of the UM3/S5/S3 firmware is that the firmware is not open source. So there is no legal way to distribute those changes. Also because there is no infrastucture in place for Ultimaker to incorporate 3rd party changes to the firmware, it would be up to the creator of the modifications to keep updating the modified firmware.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted (edited) · Remotely confirm 3D print removal
    On 8/19/2021 at 1:44 PM, Smithy said:

    Basically you are right, it is just implemented in the current firmware that when the print job has finished the printer is waiting that you confirm the removal of the object with a press on a button on the display. The state is stored internally, so just rebooting the printer don't solve it. And currently there is no API function to do it remotely.

     

    But when you put the printer in developer mode, you can ssh into the printer and if you find the place where the state is stored or how to call the "I have confirmed and pressed the button" function, it should be possible. But someone has to analyze the code and dive deeper into the system. It is possible, because it is Python so you can read the code.

     

    Tinkergnome worked on the amazing Tinkergnome FW for the UM2 printers, but they are completely different from the UM3 and S-line printers, so that will not help and work here.

    I think (as far as I understand) by ssh-ing on the UM3 it is possible to disable the cleanup requirement in the configuration (/usr/share/griffin/griffin/machines/um3.json). Maybe it would be similar for the UM5?

     

    By doing this the cleanup step will be skipped after each print, so be careful..

    Edited by timotub
    Doesn't work. I have tested it.
  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Remotely confirm 3D print removal

    Just keep in mind that when you completely disable it, you can also not use the queue functionality anymore. So you degrade the printer a little bit. 
     

    I often put several jobs into the queue and then just remove the object and confirm the removal. But it depends on your workflow. 

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Remotely confirm 3D print removal

    Hi @JvH,

     

    As mentioned before there are some problems with confirming print removal remotely, hence why it is not officially supported. If you really want to you can connect to the printer via SSH and execute the following command:

    dbus-send --system --dest=nl.ultimaker.printer --type=method_call --print-reply /nl/ultimaker/printer nl.ultimaker.messageProcedure string:"PRINT" string:"PRINTER_CLEANED"

    However I will have to warn you. If the build plate has not been cleared, this could lead to damage when the next print is started.

     

    I hope this helps,

     

    Jos

    • Like 4
    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Remotely confirm 3D print removal

    Very nice @Josnoww.  Does this work with all of S3, S5, UM3, UM2+C?

     

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Remotely confirm 3D print removal

    Hi @gr5,

     

    It works with the S3, S5, UM3. I am not sure about the UM2+C.

     

    Jos

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Remotely confirm 3D print removal
    6 hours ago, Josnoww said:

    I am not sure about the UM2+C

    Due to the lack of SSH support (it is turned off) it is sadly not working.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Remotely confirm 3D print removal

    Well you could probably use an "olimex serial cable F".  maybe.  probably.  Not sure if the computer on the um2+C has a serial console connection.  But it probably does.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Remotely confirm 3D print removal

    There is a serial console connection, yes.

    I have checked a pre-release firmware when SSH was still enabled and as far as I can remember the firmware/system is completely different from the s-line printers. So I am not sure if the dbus is also used with the Onion board. 

     

    With the Launch FIrmware the SSH daemon was disabled and I thought about re-enabling SSH via a console cable. But the possibilities with the UM2+C look very limited and so I did not make the effort.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Remotely confirm 3D print removal
    On 9/29/2021 at 6:46 AM, Josnoww said:

    Hi @JvH,

     

    As mentioned before there are some problems with confirming print removal remotely, hence why it is not officially supported. If you really want to you can connect to the printer via SSH and execute the following command:

    dbus-send --system --dest=nl.ultimaker.printer --type=method_call --print-reply /nl/ultimaker/printer nl.ultimaker.messageProcedure string:"PRINT" string:"PRINTER_CLEANED"

    However I will have to warn you. If the build plate has not been cleared, this could lead to damage when the next print is started.

     

    I hope this helps,

     

    Jos

    hi @Josnoww - this worked for me.  thank you for posting it.

     

    i am wondering if there is a slightly different formatted command to "clean-up" the build plate after an aborted print.  i started a print remotely and then immediately aborted the print job before it could ever start.  i tried issuing the above command but its not working... i am getting "false" as a return code instead of "true"

    root@ultimakersystem-ccbdd3005c8b:~# dbus-send --system --dest=nl.ultimaker.printer --type=method_call --print-reply /nl/ultimaker/printer nl.ultimaker.messageProcedure string:"PRINT" string:"PRINTER_CLEANED"
    method return time=1641435117.014710 sender=:1.18 -> destination=:1.38 serial=40558960 reply_serial=2
       boolean false

     

    last i used the command, the state of the printer was that of a normal "Awaiting clean-up" after a successful print.. and the command worked.

     

    i am wondering now if i am getting "false" now when i run the command because the state of the printer is "Aborted. Awaiting clean-up" and it requires a different command????

     

    thanks for any help!

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Remotely confirm 3D print removal

    @tmcolby I did some tests today and figured out the same. I guess the reason is, that during the pre-heat stage the printer reacts a bit different. After this abort you have the dialog on the display asking you if you want to retry it or not.

     

    I played around a little bit and found that this command is working when you abort a print job very early, when the actual print has not started yet:

     

    dbus-send --system --dest=nl.ultimaker.printer --type=method_call --print-reply /nl/ultimaker/printer nl.ultimaker.messageProcedure string:"REPRINT_AFTER_ABORT" string:"ABORT"

     

    • Like 2
    • Thanks 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Remotely confirm 3D print removal

    to jump on this, this "confirm removal" is driving me mad. The printer is in a school so im not able to SSH stuff and really mess with it, but please god id love a feature in the firmware.

    Every day after a print is done we remove the job asap and then have to sit waiting for the "confirm removal" feature before we can get the next job away. So essentially waiting for the bed to cool only to them immediately heat up again the second the confirm button is pressed. The printer is used during all working hours so the jobs are just lined up. Its a minor gripe but it would make my life a whole lot easier for sure.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Remotely confirm 3D print removal

    @Super_paulie You can skip the cool down phase with a one time command to the printer, which is then active all the time. To do it, you need ofc a ssh connection to enable it, but then it just works.

     

    The mention method above would also not help for the cool down phase, it is when someone forgot to press the button after removal or if you abort a print job before it has actually started. This can help you to "remotely" clean the printer state that you can start the next job without the need to go to the printer physically.

     

    I wrote a tool to do such things, check this thread, there is also a download link:

     

    To use it from home you need a connection to your school, maybe VPN or something like that. Another possibility could be a pc in the school with teamviewer running. Then you can connect to this machine from home and run the tool or whatever you want.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Remotely confirm 3D print removal

    thanks Smithy, for figuring that out.  i saved the command as a bash alias for the next time ;)

     

    i ended up just remotely issuing a reboot which worked.  not ideal.  knowing the command is far better.. appreciate you figuring it out

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Remotely confirm 3D print removal
    On 1/11/2022 at 5:01 PM, Super_paulie said:

    to jump on this, this "confirm removal" is driving me mad. The printer is in a school so im not able to SSH stuff and really mess with it, but please god id love a feature in the firmware.

    Every day after a print is done we remove the job asap and then have to sit waiting for the "confirm removal" feature before we can get the next job away. So essentially waiting for the bed to cool only to them immediately heat up again the second the confirm button is pressed. The printer is used during all working hours so the jobs are just lined up. Its a minor gripe but it would make my life a whole lot easier for sure.


    Unfortunately Ultimaker machines have become really user unfriendly. This is just another example of that.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
     Share

    • Our picks

      • New here? Get ahead with a free onboarding course
        Hi,
         
        Often getting started is the most difficult part of any process. A good start sets you up for success and saves you time and energy that could be spent elsewhere. That is why we have a onboarding course ready for
        Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle, Ultimaker S5, Ultimaker S3 Ultimaker 2+ Connect.   
        They're ready for you on the Ultimaker Academy platform. All you need to do to gain access is to register your product to gain free access. 
        Ready? Register your product here in just 60 seconds.
          • Like
        • 13 replies
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...