Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
braddock

Great 3D scans

This is pretty cool, I didn't know sites like this existed; the price doesn't seem unreasonable considering the investment it would take to get good digitization of larger things like a person. We have a ROMER coordinate measure machines at work with a freakin laser scanner head, when it's not being used for experimentation I'm totally going to scan away, anyway that thing was something like 100k. Also, it takes a while to render the digitizations and do some touch-ups so I suppose you are also paying for someone else's time. Thanks for the post.

hm, I can't find anywhere where they show the topology on the models... haven't seen too many scans with decent topology that can be used for anything other than a static pose, so that makes me worry. But the price is good, unless you need to use it commercially.

"Nice scans!! better than my Kinect setup". Haha, yeah I would hope so with 80 cameras capturing the scene instead of just one :p

The scans look very similar to what Infinite Realities make, not sure if it's the same guys: http://ir-ltd.net/blog/

Hmm... now that I take a look at their site again it looks like they've launched a marketplace of their own: (NSFW!) http://www.triplegangers.com/

Either way, I think both produce some pretty high quality stuff. I tried a couple of demos from the site above a while back in my Rift and it's pretty crazy the detail you can see. At one point I was moving through the scene and turned around to find myself face to face with the model real close up and I instinctively jerked my head back because it felt like I was invading personal space, very convincing.