UM3E keeps freezing and glitching after firmware update

ddrsarah

Posted · UM3E keeps freezing and glitching after firmware update

Have a UM3 Extended which has been operating with no issues. After updating to the latest firmware, I've tried to run about a dozen prints and each time they fail silently or with a z switch or travel move error.

I've tried reinstalling the firmware via USB and the issue persists. About 5 times in a row now the printer silent fails, with no error on the display and the printhead just stick mid print. I've also tried resetting all digital factory settings and the issue persists.

Can someone please assist on what to do? I run a store and being down a printer is costing me money by the day. Attached the most recent log.

dmesg.log

Well this is a bummer. I successfully went through the steps of doing firmware recovery with the 5.2.16 recovery image via Olimex board and the issue persisted on the first print. Video of the behaviour: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qqcjvb8ktkdjr33/IMG_3383.MOV?dl=0

I didn't update the firmware to 5.2.18 after the recovery. Printer just freezes, timer still going and when I tried to pause it it gave me a "detected move outside of normal printer volume" error. I've been printing this same file with the same settings for months back to back and it was only after I installed the latest firmware did I get this issue.

Hi ddrsarah,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing problems. From what you are telling me it is difficult to find the cause of the problem. Could you provide the log files of when this occurs? You can save them from the printer onto a USB drive in the printer menu: System -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Dump Files to USB.

Best regards,

Jos

On 9/1/2021 at 5:25 AM, Josnoww said:

Hi ddrsarah,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing problems. From what you are telling me it is difficult to find the cause of the problem. Could you provide the log files of when this occurs? You can save them from the printer onto a USB drive in the printer menu: System -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Dump Files to USB.

Best regards,

Jos

Hi, I attached the log file in the first post. 

Hi I am facing the same issue here

On 9/3/2021 at 3:43 PM, ddrsarah said:

Hi, I attached the log file in the first post. 

Hi I am facing the same issue with my UM 3, did you get your problem resolved?

@thanks1976 The original poster in this thread was asked to post all log files, she now only posted one of the lesser interesting files. So, for you, the same question to share all log files. We can examine those and hopefully find a clue as to why your system fails.

Hi @CarloK, please see attached log files from my ultimaker 3 extended, I have been printing off USB as the WIFI does not reach the shed.
    Thanks
    Leo

ultimakersystem-log.zip

@thanks1976 Thanks for providing the log files. Too bad the log files are incomplete, it looks like the printer did reset and the log file from just before the reset was lost.

Is it possible the printer did reset from a power interruption or a short dip in the mains power?
    You might try adding a cheap UPS power supply. A good brand like APC can be bought from %76.