Air Manager for UMS3

ingo46

Posted · Air Manager for UMS3
Since there is no Air Manager for the UMS3 and probably not in planning, my question: Is it technically possible to operate the Air Manager of the UM2+ at the UMB OUT interface of the UMS3?

I don't think so, since the firmware doesn't expect there to be an air manager, and the air manager is controlled through the firmware and slicing of the files (for max build chamber volume). There are some third party S3 enclosures out there with built in fans.

Firmware of UMS3 and UMS5 are the same. I can connect the Air Manager to the S5!

Why is there a UMB-OUT interface on the UMS3 if there are no devices for it ???

The UMS3 is a Destop 3D printer, which means that there are also people in the room where printing is done.
    This is not possible without an exhaust air filter. Without an exhaust air filter, the printer is unusable!!!  

The third-party covers have a recirculation system and no regulation and are just as unusable!!!

11 hours ago, ingo46 said:

The UMS3 is a Destop 3D printer, which means that there are also people in the room where printing is done.
    This is not possible without an exhaust air filter. Without an exhaust air filter, the printer is unusable!!!  

The S3 is a desktop printer and most users have them in the office and not in dedicated printer rooms. All other printers from UM, except the S5 with AirManager, have no filtering system. Thousands of users are printing daily with these printers with any problems.

The best enclosure will not help when you print materials like PLA or something like that with a lower glass transition temperature. If you print with such materials and you have an enclosed printer, your print will fail because of too much heat inside. For longer print jobs with PLA, I keep the doors open on my S5 to avoid too much heat.

If you are printing with materials like ABS, ASA, PC or whatever and your focus is on filtering fine particles, then I am asking me, why you have bought a printer which has no filtering cover available if you mean the printer is unusable without one.

We already discussed it in the German section, but since you are afraid to be in the same room with the printer, an S5 with Airmaanger would have been the better printer for you.

10 hours ago, Smithy said:

If you are printing with materials like ABS, ASA, PC or whatever and your focus is on filtering fine particles, then I am asking me, why you have bought a printer which has no filtering cover available if you mean the printer is unusable without one.

Think that was with my fault. I had written to him that ABS. ASA and even PLA emit toxic fumes during printing.
    With CF there is also carbon dust. The dose makes the poison. etc.
    It was explicitly asked for then that's why I had written it.

10 hours ago, Smithy said:

but since you are afraid to be in the same room with the printer

I had understood that he cannot operate his CNC milling machine without dusting the printer.
    Therefore, he is looking for an adequate cover. Covers from third-party manufacturers are just as expensive as from Ultimaker, but unfortunately not usable in relation to the HEPA filter system. The idea to adapt a cover from Ultimaker was obvious.

Put more simply:"The idea is to adapt the filter system of the Ultimaker UM2C to the UMS3."

No more and no less.

Hence the question about the connection.

I hope that a solution will be found here with an objective discussion.

On 9/5/2021 at 10:30 AM, Smithy said:

I bought this printer because it gives a good print result. S5 and S3 have the same firmware and interfaces - so I assumed that if there is an Air Manager for the S5, then also for the S3.

But that wasn't the question in this post! I just wanted to know if I can join the Air Manager from THE UM2+ (or S5) (what is detected?) Can the devices be damaged during testing?

On 9/5/2021 at 9:31 PM, UlrichC-DE said:

Think that was with my fault. I had written to him that ABS. ASA and even PLA emit toxic fumes during printing.
    With CF there is also carbon dust. The dose makes the poison. etc.
    It was explicitly asked for then that's why I had written it.

Thanks for this important note in the other post. Then I looked again at the safety instructions in the data sheets.

This post is only aimed at technical information!

9 minutes ago, ingo46 said:

I just wanted to know if I can join the Air Manager from THE UM2+ (or S5) (what is detected?) Can the devices be damaged during testing?

I think, that you can connect the S5 AirManager to the S3 as well, except the form factor, it should work. Both printers share the same platform and firmware. It could be that in the printer definition files of the firmware an AirManager is not enabled, because officially there is not AirManager for the S3, but these files can be edited when you enable the developer mode, so this could be "fixed"/hacked if needed.

The UM2+Connect uses a complete different platform, different firmware, different boards. Maybe the bus is the same and operates with the same logic as for the S-Line printers, but I don't know. Also keep in mind that the UM2+C is a little bit smaller than the S3, so even if it would work technically, the hinges will not be at the same place and it will not work as designed.

But these are only my personal thoughts, I haven't tried it and I can be completely wrong.

Thank you! This is exactly the information I was looking for.