Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Cura's main Drawback

dubbeltrubbel

Posted · Cura's main Drawback

I'm a heavy user of Cura and has been for many years.

The one thing that has ALWAYS been an issue for me ( and I know others ) is the failing in transferring profiles between versions.

I just installed 4.11 and only got some of my profiles added automatically. Spent the entire morning trying all kinds of stuff but had to settle on export/importing everything manually.

I've got a bunch of folders left from earlier versions of cura that I have no idea if any of them contain some important profile or not? Can I delete them or not, who knows.

It would be so easy if custom profiles were synced automatically. 

The whole manage profile function inside cura is outdated as well and would really benefit from getting a remake. Would love to get some more control of the profile handling. Export/import multiple at once f.e.

When doing this by manually transferring files, it's easy to get all kinds of errors.

Please Ultimaker, why are we stuck with this poor profile management in an otherwise awesome slicer.

This is by far #1 on the Wishlist

I hope you guys will read this feedback and make use of it.

Thanks for an otherwise great slicer

The thing with my configuration error is that it seems to be intermittent . Sometimes I will open the later versions of  Cura ( 4.8,4.10, and now 4.11and the configuration error will not appear. I never and still do not get this error when I open version 4.7. And I do not think that  this is related to profile management.

On 9/11/2021 at 11:33 AM, dubbeltrubbel said:

The one thing that has ALWAYS been an issue for me ( and I know others ) is the failing in transferring profiles between versions.

I just installed 4.11 and only got some of my profiles added automatically. Spent the entire morning trying all kinds of stuff but had to settle on export/importing everything manually.

I've personally not had this issue. All profiles should be converted automatically. If this doesn't happen, that's a bug and it's best reported on github (https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues). Make sure to also include your configuration folder and log files.

It would be so easy if custom profiles were synced automatically.

That should be the case.

The whole manage profile function inside cura is outdated as well and would really benefit from getting a remake. Would love to get some more control of the profile handling. Export/import multiple at once f.e.

When doing this by manually transferring files, it's easy to get all kinds of errors.

You shouldn't even have to do this. The exporting is really intended to share a single file with someone, not to make entire backups. We have a build in backup plugin to do that.

Please Ultimaker, why are we stuck with this poor profile management in an otherwise awesome slicer.

Because it's a bug that we didn't know about 😉

• Like 1