Blocked nozzle

somerwil

Posted · Blocked nozzle

@zaxis-3d - what temp was the nozzle at when you shoved filament upwards through the tip? This is a cool idea and I want to try it if I ever get a blocked nozzle. Also you should seriously consider getting a larger nozzle. I have multiple sizes. Around .65mm to .8mm is a nice size and still results in decent quality prints - for certain filaments (wood/stone fill) I think the quality might be actually better as these tend to hide the layer lines anyway.

• 1 month later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    Posted · Blocked nozzle

Hi guys,

I watch these threads on nozzle blockages with interest and dread. So far, touch WoodFill , I have not had a blocked nozzle on my UM2.

I tried ColorFabbs WoodFill PLA, and after a failed Ultimaker Robot, which even though I hadn't been watching it for 10 minutes, then noticed it had stopped extruding, was lucky that it didn't cause problems. I have even managed to repeat it and get a robot at 0.1 mm step height with no problem 2nd time around.

Some where somebody mentioned getting a accupunture needle in case of a block nozzle which I now have from my practitioner just in case to clear it out.

One thing I do is a temperature test print to see which is the optimum print temperature for the material, then I print some UM robots and record the settings on the base for records.

At the moment im trying to find the correct settings for ColorFabb XT White, although the web says no fans, iv got better results at 236C with 50% fans at 50mm/s and 0.1mm step. But still testing. My aim is to keep print temperatures low but quality high to reduce nozzle problems.

Posted · Blocked nozzle

Having read a few more threads there seams to be a small issue when swapping between types of material, especially when changing to a material with a lower temperature. It's looking like the feeder is creating small particles or filament dust that is entering the Bowden tube and possibly contaminating the other filaments.

It might be worth trying a pull through on the tube with a very small piece of cloth to pull through any of this dust etc. and hopefully reduce the chance of blocking the nozzle.

So far I have only been printing with PLA but have just inserted a reel of XT so when I swap back I will give my Bowden tube a pull through to see if I get a problem.

My only other option is to have a set of 3 tubes, 1 for PLA, 1 for XT and 1 for ABS, that way I would cover the 3 main temperature range materials and not cross ranges.

Posted · Blocked nozzle

A hint about dusty filament: if you wrap a pipe cleaner around the filament, it will brush off the dust.

Since i found that tip somewhere here on the forum, i've had a lot less blockages.

(Yes, i could also clean the place more often, but the pipe cleaner seemed easier :-) )

Interesting idea. I think I just might make a mod for that so that the filament gets cleaned before it enters the bowden tube.