Firmware 5.2.18 stable

maht

Posted · Firmware 5.2.18 stable

Hello there Ultimaker friends,

Getting some intermittent trouble with my UM3 after updating to the latest firmware (5.2.18.20210820 stable), including:

- OLED screen breaking on/near print completion (see image)
- Wi-Fi dropping randomly

Things I have tried:

- Factory reset
- Flashing recovery image and reupdating

The issue persists, so I believe it's some sort of firmware bug. Since it the UM3 firmware isn't actively developed anymore and it's impossible to downgrade to the previous version, can anyone help out? @CarloK?

Logs/images attached.

Also, well done for sneaking this in:

um3oled.jpg

UM3_logs_140921.zip

• Like 1

@mahtt Congartulations on finding the Ultibot. 😉

Sorry to hear about your display problems, this was exactly one of the things we tried to fix in this release so I'm very surprised to see it popping up when it didn't happen before. Also weird that you mention a downgrade is impossible. We tried downgrading here internally several times and I left 5.2.16 for this purpose on the Testing channel.

The only thing that comes to mind, is that you updated your printer just after our initial release. There was a short time frame where a wrong download image was hosted. Could you try to download 5.2.18 again from https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011587199

Copy this to a usb stick and re-install. I'm eager to hear your test results.

Posted (edited) · Firmware 5.2.18 stable

Thanks for your help @CarloK, much appreciated.

Could you try to download 5.2.18 again from https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011587199

Copy this to a usb stick and re-install.

I've updated with the latest build via USB and so far so good - the OLED hasn't corrupted yet. I'll keep an eye on it.

The only thing that comes to mind, is that you updated your printer just after our initial release. There was a short time frame where a wrong download image was hosted. 

Strange how the update via the network still led to a bad screen though, as I did the process yesterday via the machine after flashing a recovery image, so it seems like it would have been long after 'correct' image was placed on the update channel.

We tried downgrading here internally several times and I left 5.2.16 for this purpose on the Testing channel.

Ah, actually I didn't notice that. Good to know it's there if I need it.

Cheers!

Edited by mahtt

12 hours ago, mahtt said:

Strange how the update via the network still led to a bad screen though, as I did the process yesterday via the machine after flashing a recovery image, so it seems like it would have been long after 'correct' image was placed on the update channel.

Yes, weird indeed. The 'wrong' image can't be your problem here. What version did your Recovery image have?

@CarloK I noticed since posting this the recovery image has mysteriously disappeared 😋

Do you know the best place to find one if someone should need it?

P.S. All firmware issues listed above seem to be resolved for me now 😄

Never mind, using 'https' instead of 'http' seems to resolve it.

Unfortunately @CarloK my screen just corrupted again.

Since the last message I have used the recovery image above and also played around with multi-point bed levelling, but this is now disabled on my machine.

The corrupted screen seems less frequent now but the cause is still unclear. It seems to occur towards the end of a print job. I aborted a job remotely through the DF and found it corrupted when I returned to the machine.

Logs attached, I'll keep monitoring it.

UM3_logs_190921.zip

Just had another screen glitch! Dumped logs:
    UM3_logs_210921.zip

Hi Mahtt.

Your log files are being detected as malicious; and my browsers won't let me donwload them.

Quite sad to see that the corrupted screen persists!

Edited by Szahari

@mahtt I'm sorry to hear that the problem with the corrupted screen still happens on your printer. I could download your log files and nothing out of the ordinary appears there.

Let me try to summarize:

• The corrupted screen problems didn't appear on the 5.2.16 release
    • When the problem occurred you did a recovery install of 5.2.18 to ensure a clean software installation
    • The screen corruption seems to happen mostly nearing the end of a print

In 5.2.18 we changed a few things to reduce the screen corruptions, but since we were never able to reproduce the problem we couldn't prove this would fix them for sure.

From your logs it seems like you often print small objects, about 5 minutes in duration. Is this true? I'm asking because it triggers a thought; 5 minutes before the end of a print we start producing more data for estimating the end-of-print time.

Your log files are being detected as malicious; and my browsers won't let me donwload them.

@Szahari The process I used for logs attached above was: "SYSTEM > Maintenance > Diagnostics > Dump logs to USB" and then zipping up the result and attaching here. Assuming you're using Windows/Chrome. It will block them if you have safe browsing protection enabled (it did it to me as well actually), but I assure you they're not malicious. Not deliberately by me, at least.

@CarloK Thanks for your continued investigation here

The corrupted screen problems didn't appear on the 5.2.16 release

Yes

When the problem occurred you did a recovery install of 5.2.18 to ensure a clean software installation

Yes

The screen corruption seems to happen mostly nearing the end of a print

Yes

it triggers a thought; 5 minutes before the end of a print we start producing more data for estimating the end-of-print time.

This seems plausible, but I seem to remember it occurred on longer prints too (more than 1 hour long).

I've also noticed more Wi-Fi dropouts after the printer has been on for some time. When I restart the printer everything goes back to working as expected, but the screen corruption and Wi-Fi dropouts still occur intermittently.

From my observations the OLED issue is towards the end of the print, but I haven't always been physically monitoring the screen so it's hard to say that for certain.

It's crossed my mind that it could be a hardware fault as the printer is not the newest (one of the old series UM3s with white slidey blocks) but the screen corruption seems to be regular and only really happened after updating firmware, so that would suggest it's software.

It's connected to the Digital Factory. Maybe the log told you that already. Could that be a cause?

I've attached the '5 minute' Cura project file I was using, maybe it will help to debug.

UM3_tslot.3mf

Edited by mahtt

Shortly after posting this the screen corrupted again.

The printer had been left on idle for around an hour and after I started a print, it seemed to corrupt during the heat up process.

I aborted the running print, dumped logs, power cycled.

After power cycling and restarting the job from the recent history list I got the message: 'Build plate offset unknown. Calibrate build plate to start print'.

Logs and project file of print attached.

UM3_idler-coupler.3mf

UM3_logs_250921.zip

Edited by mahtt