Netfabb compatible with Rostock Style gcode?

jonadkins

Posted · Netfabb compatible with Rostock Style gcode?

Hello,

I am considering purchasing Netfabb Private with its main use being as my slicing solution.

I was wondering whether the RepRap engine supports Rostock Style printers that have their origin at 0,0. In Cura there is the option Machine center 0,0 but I can't find whether this option is also supported in Netfabb.

Thanks in advance,

-jon

I'm not sure that Netfabb Private does any sort of gcode generation. That capability is built into their 'Engine' packages, but I think that the 'slicing' capability mentioned in Netfabb Pro is more about generating cross-sectional images that can perhaps be used for SLS/SL than generating gcode-level command sets. I may be wrong, but I don't see any mention of gcode in the Netfabb Pro features list or web pages, and I don't even see slicing mentioned at as feature for Netfabb private.

Personally I feel like $300US is a lot for a rather dated tool for which any commercial use at all is prohibited. I appreciate their free tools - and might even be persuaded to pay a little for them - but $300 seems a lot for a toolset that is starting to look rather long in the tooth these days, and doesn't offer much over the free tools.

From what I've heard about the Netfabb engine for Ultimaker, it's quite capable, but not at all well supported, to the point of being difficult to have much faith in anymore. There are several pretty good slicers available for free, and other commercial ones such as Simplify3D that some users have spoken very highly of on here recently.

Thank you for the response Illuminati. After perusing different forums I can see what you're saying about support and feature set and it's definitely turned me off of the product.

I'm using Cura, and loving it. The quality of prints that I'm getting is far better, and easier, than any of the other slicers that I've tried.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.

-jon

I'm using Cura, and loving it. The quality of prints that I'm getting is far better, and easier, than any of the other slicers that I've tried.

Just so you know. I heard that. Thanks :) I think some of the better things is that I'm still listening and improving Cura, compared to Netfabb that took a year to implement retraction.

What caused you to pursuit Netfabb as alternative to Cura? I know Cura is not the holy solution to all 3D printing needs. (Support material needs some heavy improvements)