UM2+ Connect ignores Filament Change post-processing script

utopiah

Posted (edited) · UM2+ Connect ignores Filament Change post-processing script

I specified a correct layer (e.g layer 8 of a 10 layers print) using Cura 4.11.0 on an up to date UM2+ Connect. The print finished without error but there was no pause or prompt to change the filament. I verified by sitting in front of the printer for a smaller print.

I diff the the generate GCODE with and without the plugin and get :

M600 E30.00 L300.00 X0.00 Y0.00 ; Generated by FilamentChange plugin

which seems correct.

Does the UM2+ Connect firmware support the M600 instruction? If not (which based on previous discussions here wouldn't be surprising) is there a practical alternative to do so using less specific instructions?

Edited by utopiah

I have experienced the same issue in the past too. My workaround was to use the "Pause at height" script and then do the change manually. This is not ideal as you have to deal with the nozzle dripping melted filament. A permanent fix that makes the FilamentChange plugin usable again would be great.

For more details check

Edited by reibuehl
    • Like 1

Posted · UM2+ Connect ignores Filament Change post-processing script

Thanks I haven't verified but

and the latest August reply "Pause at height is currently not supported by the firmware of Ultimaker 2+ Connect." makes me believe this isn't an option here. Have you tried it on this model?

There are many gcode commands to pause a printer but none of these are supported by the UM2+C.
    We are continuously extending the functionalities of the UM2+C printer and the addition of a 'pause at height' function is high on the wish list. I hope we can release it soon but can't make any hard promises.

• Like 1

Thanks @CarloK, exciting to hear that this will gradually come. Is the roadmap public and if not is there a way to get notifications when new feature on a specific model, here the UM2+C, gets integrated?

We are looking into ways of communicating to our users what we are working on, i.e. giving ahead notice of what to expect. An example is the Showcase event we are having tomorrow, October 14.

New developments are always going on, but not all promising developments make it into an end product. In the past we created expectations that we couldn't live up to, so it's a difficult balance about telling what we are working on and over promising.

There is (not yet) a public roadmap for our printers, but when new firmware is released the printer will show a notification. Detailed release notes for the UM2+C are available at our website.

I understand, a delicate balance indeed. I'll try to attend tomorrow.

From the link you shared I was surprise to see in firmware 1.5 "New feature: Change material while print is paused. It is now possible to pause the print and to swap out a material"as this seems to be exactly what would be needed in this specific case. Is it a different mechanism than Gcode?

PS: I wish I could subscribe to update to https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017358580-Ultimaker-2-Connect-firmware-release-notes

Edited by utopiah

1 hour ago, utopiah said:

New feature: Change material while print is paused

As far as I understood, it is a manual process, so you have to manual push pause on the printer.

• Like 1

Yes that's also my understanding but the pause button on the screen does somehow affect the machine so somehow it must relay the request to the motors..?

6 hours ago, utopiah said:

Is it a different mechanism than Gcode?

Most probably yes - it's a different mechanism (to answer this question).

The user interface of the newer printers runs on linux / python and does not use G-Code.

In general:

Ultimaker printers are supporting a small subset of all possible G-Codes and the support for M0 is simply not there (yet?) on the UM2+C

That's my own humble opinion of course - i have no deeper insights than everyone else.

• Like 1

I've just tried the filament change post-processing command, and I confirm that my UM2C ignores it completely, even almost a year after (on firmware 1.5.2).
    Any news on this please ?

EDIT : the 1.5 firmware explicitly talk about that : "Change material while print is paused". But the plugin still doesn't work

Edited by Nico04

Oof... back from the grave and sadly for a bad news : no news.

Honestly at that point when people ask about the UM2+Connect I suggest it as a not fuss plug&play 3D printer. If they want to actually tinker, go the Pruza way.

I gave up on this. Still happily print with it but I just don't tinker with the device itself.

I've tried the "Pause at height" script instead, with high hopes, but it's the same : it's totally ignored by the printer.

You are quite right, it's a great plug & play printer, but it misses a lot of basic features... A lot which the preivous UM2+ had !

For a 2 grand printer, it's quite a shame...

Any plan on fixing this with new firmware @Ultimaker ?

@Nico04 you can look at my post history but a word of advice here, don't swim against the current. I asked numerous time and people have basically told me, I'm wrong, this model of printer is not for tinkering. Of course I encourage you to voice your needs but don't get disappointed if sadly you don't get the response you are hoping for. I sincerely wish you will get better answers than I did so if you do (fingers crossed) please do keep me posted!

Edited by utopiah
    typos

Well I understand your saying, but I'm not really talking about tinkering here : it's a native Cura function, and moreover you can explicitly pause the print with the printer's screen button, so it's just a matter of linking / finding the right gcode command to start the pause 🙂

Edited by Nico04

Yes... but to play devil's advocate (again, I do want this and more on the UM2+C) Cura and the printer are two different things. Cura is the slicing software. It can be used with the UM2+C or any other printer. Thus there are functionalities that are present that aren't supported by all printers, even the ones sold by Ultimaker who does both software and hardware.

So it's a business decision from Ultimaker. They decided that for the market segment, it was fine using a simpler hardware controller with a simpler firmware despite the loss of functionality. Disappointing to me, and to you, but that can still be considered out of specifications. Anyway it clearly isn't their focus for now, even though, yes indeed it could be done.

You're right Cura and the printers are differents thinks, even if it's the same company behind.

I've done some experiments and talked with the Ultimaker support, I've posted a summary here, if you are interested 🙂

Spoiler : maybe it will come in a futur firmware release 🙂

Edited by Nico04

See also

i.e notes on 1.5 update which says "Change material while print is paused. It is now possible to pause the print and change the material spool in the paused state."

I think the release notes are out of context if you had not used the 2+C before that firmware release..

You were not able to change material when you manually paused the printer from the touch screen before.
    This update only made that possible.

It is still not possible to use stop at layer height etc gcode to pause the 2+C  as noted in this thread its either ignored or it only pauses for a moment before auto resuming itself.

If you want to change material while printing you will need to manually pause the machine from the touch screen.