Ultimaker 2 knob

tor

Posted · Ultimaker 2 knob

So I finally got my UM2 today after a somewhat long wait. Big kudos to Sander working hard on CR on the forum and in other parts.

Unfortunately my UM2 seems to be a dead fish in the water. Upon unpacking the unit I realized that the controller knob was loose.

Knob and hole

Loose knob

UM2 after unpacking

Is this fixable or should I just pack things up again?

And as a follow up question, maybe pointless with regards on above mentioned problem. My glass build plate is located under the build platform which seems a bit odd. I remember vaguely that I read a post on some other customer talking on this. Unfortunately i can't find that post right now. Pointers appreciated.

Ouch, looks like the encoder switch housing has broken apart into two pieces. I believe the knob is simply a friction fit so you should be able to pull that off and then MAYBE be able to snap the switch back together. But, I don't know what the internals of that particular switch is like and if some tiny internal piece might have gone missing. My recommendation would be to get in contact with support and have them take care of it for you. Even if you did put it together you never know if it'll be reliable.

As for the glass plate it's just a matter of moving the platform up to get to it. Either twist the large z-screw in the back (use gloves or a piece of paper, it's really greasy), or gently lift the platform up by grabbing it towards the back of the machine and pulling on it. Twisting the z-screw is probably less scary for a new owner :)

Hi IRobertI and others!

I agree that the piece seems to be pushed back into place. Unfortunately I'm a bit reluctant to try when i don't even know how the connector should be orientated. I have opened a ticket and hopefully i will get some good news soon. It would really be a pity if i had to send it back right away when the unit finally has arrived :(

Thx for the tip on the glass plate! Will try this later then.

Hi Tor,

I took the liberty of moving your post to a different one, as it did not concern the lead time.

(to keep things clear for future uses it is important to put it in the right section).

I am not sure how easy it is to repair it yourself, I will look into it and get back with you! Thank you!

How handy are you Tor? Support might just send you a new board and knob - do you think you would be able to remove the 5 or so screws to take off the bottom cover, remove the board and put the new one in?

Yes, that is what I am going to suggest.

I just double checkend and fixing will probably not be possible.

The next thing is a replacement.

We can either send you a new electronics board and knob so you can replace those.

Keep in mind that replacing this electronics board can be tricky because of the display that is connected and

the fat cables that have a tight fit within the cover.

However, with some love and fiddeling I am sure it can be done :)

The alternative would be that we replace your Ultimaker 2 with a new one.

We can have it picked up, and once we have it back we will send you a new one the next day.

It will be a few days longer then the electronics board, but it will save you the hassle of replacing the electronics.

Let me know what you prefer and we can set the wheels in motion :)

Hi Sander and others,

Totally missed that the post was moved. One should think that there would be sent out some form of notification since i made the original post. But well well, i found out anyway.

I would describe myself as not totally illiterate with a screwdriver. I usually manage to disassemble and put my laptop back together with out too many screws left over ;)

So if the exchange of the board does not involve any dissemblance of the mechanics, i.e. guides for build bed and extruder etc, but only requires electronics and screws i should most likely pull it off.

With that said, if its possible to get the new board before the weekend, please send it. Otherwise i think i just as well can exchange the complete unit saving me the possible headache.

If ultimaker ships you a new board (I'm guessing you can keep the broken one) Wednesday afternoon you should get it Saturday as DHL works on weekends. At least they do in USA. What country are you in (please update your profile to include what country you re in).

gr5, unfortunately(?) I live in Sweden so no deliveries on Saturdays, heaven forbid :( And thanks for the tip on the profile, location added!