Loading TPU with S5 and Material Station

LumcoMFG

Posted · Loading TPU with S5 and Material Station

I am running into a lot of trouble trying to get the S5 to load NinjaTek Cheetah TPU through the material station.  The feeding unit grabs the filament in the bay, and is able to make it feed through the tube to the printer extruder drive unit.  When it reaches the drive unit, however, it seems the extruder is not 'seeing' the material, as it sits idle until the lower drive triggers the flow sensor and forces the upper extruder to move.  Once the upper unit starts to move, the filament feeds to around halfway through that section of Bowden tube to the nozzle and stops.  Manually sliding the flow sensor unit forces more material to come through, but I still end up with ER56.  Upon the necessary reboot to exit ER56, I have to release the upper extruder drive before the unit tries to unload the material, as it does not activate that drive to back the material out and will cause another error if the drive is still engaged.  Does anyone have any idea how I can make this material feed properly?  I am wanting to print a TPU 'shell' on some surfaces of a composite print to prevent an scratching that may occur or cushion a structural part.

Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle on Firmware 6.5.2

Parts are programmed in Cura 4.11 using the generic TPU profile for a 0.4mm AA nozzle in extruder 2 and a 0.6mm CC for the composite.

Thank You

Posted · Loading TPU with S5 and Material Station

NinjaTek Cheetah TPU / Shore 95A(?)

so is probably similar to the 95A from Ultimaker.

It runs well through the material station. There are only problems if the feeder tension is not set to the middle position.

If the feeder is too tense, loops form in the feeder. Then the optical sensor in the feeder goes crazy.

I print this with a 0.8 nozzle. Because it runs more reliably with this filament. In the past, I often had problems with 0.4 print heads in connection with the material station.

All I can say about CC is that the print profiles for it should be treated with caution.

For me, the CC things (PA-CF12 / CF30 / XT20) always come out of the print out of proportion. I always have to set the materials to the CC with the setting "Hole Expansion" setting beforehand.

Many success