Ultimaker S5 Flakey Printing

jbrownlee

Posted · Ultimaker S5 Flakey Printing

Hi all,

My ultimaker S5 has not been printing the best recently, and I was wondering if someone else has came across the same problem that I am having.

The printer continues running as normal, however there are some flakey bits around the print.

I was looking to know:

1. What Causes This Problem
  2. How can this problem be resolved

All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

IMG_20211102_164113.jpg

IMG_20211102_164118.jpg

Nothing really bad I guess. As long as the print result is still the same. This kinda can happen with materials that tend to ooze. Therefore, some little bits ooze out of the nozzle while traveling which get caught by the outer walls of your object. They cool down and can fall down. What material are you printing? PETG maybe?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Gero said:

Nothing really bad I guess. As long as the print result is still the same. This kinda can happen with materials that tend to ooze. Therefore, some little bits ooze out of the nozzle while traveling which get caught by the outer walls of your object. They cool down and can fall down. What material are you printing? PETG maybe?

Thank you so much for the reply. I've been using PLA as the main print material, and PVA as the support.

@jbrownlee If you're using PVA, that's probably the reason for the small flaky parts. Consider drying your PVA and/or storing it in a dry storage unit (like a PolyBox etc.). This might reduce the effect.

Hope this helps!

46 minutes ago, TimonR said:

@jbrownlee If you're using PVA, that's probably the reason for the small flaky parts. Consider drying your PVA and/or storing it in a dry storage unit (like a PolyBox etc.). This might reduce the effect.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much, and thanks for suggesting a solution. I will look into those storage solutions. Thanks Again

Even I have this problem all the time. right now just trying to store the PVA in its original packing when not in use and trying to heat it up before start of the print.

but as the print are 22 to 30 hours long duration, the PVA start behaving bad after 5 to 6 hours and then it keep on destroying the print

image.thumb.png.9b19e8f3e5921128a87b30c7ccb457fa.png

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Paramesh said:

Even I have this problem all the time. right now just trying to store the PVA in its original packing when not in use and trying to heat it up before start of the print.

but as the print are 22 to 30 hours long duration, the PVA start behaving bad after 5 to 6 hours and then it keep on destroying the print

image.thumb.png.9b19e8f3e5921128a87b30c7ccb457fa.png

Thank you for your reply, I will keep this in mind when storing my materials. Thanks