Ultimaker Cura 4.12

fvrmr

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.12
2 hours ago, nbinc said:

Thanks for your work.

On my one model, I found multiple carriage movements when filling the first layer, wasn't it easier to fill in thin areas with less carriage movement?

Screenshot 2021-11-23 at 15.52.24.png

Well, yes. But you probably have monotonic ordering enabled.

13 hours ago, nallath said:

Well, yes. But you probably have monotonic ordering enabled.

Yes, monotonic ordering it's enabled. But top line not interrupted.
    I thing, will be better if Cura fill all upper line (to the first splits or turn) and go next position (IMHO). But Cura make one single point on top line, then move down to line (under holes) and make another single point and return back to upper line... and that hamppens many many times. My first reaction - my printer it's broken. 

I can sent model file and final gcode from Cura.

Is it my imagination or does the new Cura produce slicings that print quicker?

I just reprinted an item that I swear took about six hours originally, and it printed in just over four hours with the new Cura.  I know I used very similar, if not identical settings.

18 minutes ago, jsw said:

Is it my imagination or does the new Cura produce slicings that print quicker?

I just reprinted an item that I swear took about six hours originally, and it printed in just over four hours with the new Cura.  I know I used very similar, if not identical settings.

The increased print quality in 4.12 is done through slightly higher jerk settings. Therefore objects with a lot of corners should print slightly faster as the print speed transition is a bit faster. A completely round object on the other hand should take the same time.

Some settings have also been changed to a more reasonable default.

Most logical explanation for this big difference though is that you are printing at a different layer height. Perhaps your previous print was at 0.1mm and now at 0.15mm. That would roughly reduce a 6hr print to 4 hours.

When you do have the original print file, then you can compare the used slicing settings. At the end of the gcode file the used settings are listed as comments.

One other thing I noticed is that the new Cura appears to use less support material.

I noticed this when it was printing, and also when the time to dissolve the supports was far less than on the previous print.

We constantly tweak settings and algorithms. So it could well be that prints are suddenly a lot faster or their quality has improved. The reverse can, unfortunately also happen. We try to test as much as possible, but it's impossible to test all cases. In some cases we also have to make tradeoffs (eg; making a specific rare/ uncommon thing worse in favor of making a more common thing a lot better)