Wanted: Fuzzy Skin Blocker

kayakbabe

Posted (edited) · Wanted: Fuzzy Skin Blocker

I like fuzzy skin and I cannot lie, 
You other brothers can't deny
That when a prop prints off with a pretty pretty face
It's a beautiful thing!

Except when it's not. 

Fuzzy skin really is a cool thing. I'm thinking it shouldn't be experimental at all.

Say if I'm printing something that has a threaded part that is how it attaches to another object. I want the fuzzy skin everywhere except where that threaded extension is. Or an object that has a screw hole for affixing to something. I want fuzzy everywhere but inside that hole (so the dimensions of that hole are accurate). 

I know there is a setting to just have fuzzy on the outside only or everywhere.

What I want is more control AND/OR blockers for fuzzy. 

With fuzzy blockers (More than one per model), it would be possible, with work, to accomplish a lot.

With a couple more settings AND blockers it would be super fast to accomplish a lot quickly.

examples:

fuzzy on outside and top

fuzzy everywhere except holes under a certain diameter

but even those won't do what I want without also having a fuzzy blocker.

I have a part from a kickstarter project

(see attached images).

The zone in orange is where I need extra control. 

It has screw holes and also an open channel that needs to not be fuzzy. But the rest of the part would have a really awesome appearance if it was fuzzy. 

The rest of the project it goes with would greatly benefit from the same treatments.

So I really hope, Cura gets these features added to fuzzy skin.

Sincerely, 

Kelly

I snippedimages  from Frame Theory 3D SongBird Mk.3+, myminifactory , I think it's okay to put these images on this forum and it's okay with them if I attribute it. It's not my design.

Capture.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Edited by kayakbabe
attribution for design and images
  • Like 1

Posted · Wanted: Fuzzy Skin Blocker

And think!

Anyone making objects that need to be visually pleasing yet still functional. Anyone making prototypes, one-offs, and molds for mass production who want a skin on the 3d printing item that doesn't require post processing would probably really like these abilities for fuzzy skin.