Firmware 7.0

SandervG

Ultimaker is proud to announce the release of firmware 7.0 for the Ultimaker S3, Ultimaker S5, and Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle. With it, you will enjoy a renewed UI – with improved status information, print controls, and notifications – that enables you to print with better control, more confidence, and improved efficiency. 

So what are some of the improvements? Well, it is quite the list! 

Status bar. A new top status bar in your Ultimaker display will always show important printer information, no matter where you are in the interface. This is an especially exciting update, as you can now directly see if you’re connected to the Wi-Fi or Ethernet, and Ultimaker Digital Factory – and if a firewall is enabled. You can also view a printer’s name and are notified with its build plate is hot.

1545237080_IdleView-Printertaskspending.thumb.png.07053ba5991aae7363422d26d3e9a66e.png

Print job status. The main menu’s ‘Status’ icon shows your current print job’s status and progress from anywhere on the menu.

For print status, the following notifications may appear:

•    Print finished (green check mark icon) 
•    Print aborted (red ‘abort’ icon) 
•    Paused (white ‘pause’ icon) 
•    Preparing/resuming (orange progress circle) 
•    Finishing print (white progress circle) 

Configuration overview. In the configuration menu of the Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle, the interface now clearly indicates when materials require your attention. Non-urgent items will turn yellow. Urgent items – if your filament has run out, for instance – will turn red. 

Additionally, the UI now clearly indicates when a print core is missing – for both standalone printers and those using the Ultimaker S5 Material Station. This is especially helpful for alerting you or other users that two print cores are needed for dual extrusion print jobs. 

514589914_SystemOverview-BlockingEoF(MaterialStation).thumb.png.fb6f67fa2e5645d9dfd345c4ab757b74.png

Printer task notification. You will now receive notifications for printer tasks that require attention. Printer tasks are maintenance items that need to be performed on your printer, such as changing the filter in the Ultimaker S5 Air Manager. 

Printer task notifications are shown through the main menu’s ‘Preferences’ icon and are now also clearly visible in the Preferences menu. There, the following is shown:

•    No tasks (green checkmark)
•    Non-urgent printer tasks (yellow exclamation mark) 
•    Urgent printer tasks (red exclamation mark) 

..And much more! You can read more about it in our release notes and in our blog.

You can find the instructions and corresponding firmware via this link, but when you are connected to the internet, and set your configuration to latest firmware your Ultimaker should also notify you about a new version!

Enjoy, and we're looking forward to hear from you in the comments! 

• Like 1

Still no UI changes to show layer number and print core temps, speed etc all in one place ?, i was really hoping for that it has been promised for well over a year now 😞

• Like 3

@wfin73 the update shouldn't take that long to finish.
Normally it is not advised to switch off  the printer during a firmware upgrade. If has been going on for that long it is safe to assume it has run into an issue.
Please try re-starting your printer and you may find out that the upgrade has been finished correctly.

Is the upgrade process to 7.0 on the S5 running 5.8.2 reliable and robust?

I've had the machine almost a year and I've held off on the firmware upgrades due to reports here and elsewhere of users 'bricking' machines when attempting such an upgrade.

When I upgraded to the latest Cura, it generates a front panel version warning when I submit print jobs and one of the team replied in another thread that I need to upgrade the firmware to resolve that.

I just want to be sure I'm not going down a black hole that will take a service call to recover from.

Thanks.

The S-line printers have 2 release channels: Stable and Latest

As the naming suggests, Stable is for the environments where users give more priority to stability than to newest features. This channel receives about 3 updates per year, mostly bug fixes. Current release is v6.2.3

'Latest' is also a well tested release, but here new features are introduced that still have to prove themselves in the wild. This channel receives about 10 updates per year, a combination of bug fixes and new features. Current release is v7.0.0

Release notes: https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012055979-Ultimaker-S-line-firmware-release-notes

Thanks.

I just downloaded both the Latest and Stable and I'll probably try it with the Stable release, at least at first.

Since the upgrade from 5.8.x to 6.5.x appears to be a true 'trap door' situation, I want to be 100% sure of it before I try it.

I feel more comfortable doing it locally from a memory stick than to risk a network disruption during the process.

Updating from 5.8 to 6.x is indeed a one-way update. Since changes will be made to the internal drive structure it isn't easy to do a downgrade. Installing an old firmware is always possible using the SD-card based recovery procedure, but not recommended on the early S5 models because you have to open the casing and hazardous voltages are inside.

Use whatever update procedure makes you feel more comfortable. A network interruption is not going to create a problem during the update process; first the whole new image is downloaded and verified before real installation starts.

It just finished and a test print (a 20mm calibration cube) is now printing.

It took less clock time than I expected.  The only thing I noticed is that it appeared to wait at the '2 minutes to finish' point slightly longer than two minutes.

@jsw as far as I know the long wait at the end of the print was fixed in 7.0.0.
    Though we're also waiting for the buildplate to cool down and if you use a material station for the material to deprime and park above the printhead.

@robinmdh I think @jsw was referring to the '2 minutes wait time' notice during the firmware update process. For some version updates this 2 minutes might be on the positive side.

@CarloK ahh, yeah that is just an approximate guess.

Installed new fermware on my S5 locked on splash screen for 10 minutes or more...

Turned S5 off then on S5 does not boot to Ready to Print, screen just shows Ultimaker

What next?

my printer is down!

need it now

22 hours ago, RogueWave said:

Installed new fermware on my S5 locked on splash screen for 10 minutes or more...

Turned S5 off then on S5 does not boot to Ready to Print, screen just shows Ultimaker

What next?

my printer is down!

need it now

TURNING THE S5 OFF then ON severaal times fixed the hang up...works fine

For other people - leave the printer on for at least 3 minutes as sometimes it can take almost that long.  If it has done nothing for more than 15 minutes there isn't much point to let it keep going and better to power cycle.

There is an unbricking procedure but it is difficult and can take half a day if you haven't done it before.  And requires special tools for the S5 to remove the bottom (easier I think on S3 and UM2+C).  And the unbricking requires a uSD card.

Posted · Firmware 7.0

My S5 was turned off for one day and tryed to power it up but failed after 10 minutes. cycling on/off booted up normally within couple of minutes ......certain a bug to find

Posted · Firmware 7.0

Hi,

ive got a strange situation.

I updated and my S5 is working fine.

Now after a couple days, i found this with my setup :

S5 latest udpate, wifi connected

Computer Linux latest CURA 4.11.0

If i start the software first at my computer, and then my S5 it wont boot after the ULTIMAKER name showing up in the display.

If i first boot my S5 and after the complete checkup and boot and start my software, its working without troubles.

I could reproduce this now already a couple of times, anybody else too ??

Posted · Firmware 7.0

I noticed a little bug in the firmware, I’m on the latest 7.0.2.

When clicking "Skip cooldown" in the …-menu after a print finished, it skips, but the menu itself doesn’t disappear. The buttons are gone but there’s the black box, that was the menu before, still on the screen. It disappears when I tap the screen. I shot a quick video:

Posted · Firmware 7.0

After upgrading to Firmware 7.0.4 the ethernet as well as wifi stopped working. I have a new S3 (2022) and the ethernet connection was perfectly fine until I upgraded to the firmware.

Now, when I click the switch next to the ethernet setting on the S3 screen, it shows a wait icon for about 30 seconds and then goes back to the off-switch icon. The lights on the network switch doesn't even blink once. I tried turning on/off the S3. I unplugged the network cable from the S3 and connected it to my laptop and the internet/network connection is perfectly fine.

On the wifi side, when I start wifi setup on the S3 network settings, it creates a hotspot, but it is nowhere to be found on my computer, on my phone or on my tablet's wifi lists. I tried to enter the wifi hotspot name manually in the network setting of my computer but it cannot find it.

There is a forum post from 2020 with a similar problem and they resolved it by trying different network ports, which doesn't make any sense in my case since the same network connection works on any other device but the S3. But, to rule out any possibilities I even tried that; I tested 5 different cables and ports, which work with other devices but none of them works with S3.

One odd situation is the release notes screen under maintenance > diagnostics > check release notes shows "Release notes '/tmp/release_notes.md' not found".

I would appreciate any suggestions?

Posted · Firmware 7.0

I would try downgrading the firmware.  You can put the older firmware on a USB flash drive and install the version that was working for you.  Maybe do a factory reset afterwards.  Actually that reminds me - in maintenance there is some kind of reset.  Maybe "network reset" or "digital factory reset" or something like that - it resets all network related things and fixes all manner of networking issues.

Does the S3 have developer mode?  I think that was taken away in a firmware release.  But if it does - and you seem unusually good at networking stuff - then I'd have you ssh into the machine (root/ultimaker) and run connman which is the utility to control both ethernet and wifi.  You can google connman commands on the internet.  Note: 2 "n"s in connman.

@Smithy or @Dim3nsioneer might have ideas as they know this stuff better than me.

Also check the wifi antenna connection maybe?

• Thanks 1

Posted · Firmware 7.0
    16 minutes ago, gr5 said:

"digital factory reset" or something like that - it resets all network related things and fixes all manner of networking issues

That is certainly worth trying first. If that doesn't help, a factory reset (reset all printer settings) might be necessary.

7.0.4 is the current firmware of the 'latest' channel. If you switch to the 'stable' channel, you will get 7.0.3. That change might also be something to consider.

Posted · Firmware 7.0

Thank you for the blazing fast response, gr5 and Dim3nsioneer. I just did a "reset all printer settings" and during the initial setup it asked me to setup wifi and this time the hotspot showed up on my laptop and I was able to setup the wifi. 

Ethernet option is still not working, but I am able to use the printer through wifi.

Unless I encounter another issue I won't downgrade, but that is a great idea.

PS. I wasn't able to ssh into S3 since the network on s3 seems to be completely off; the ethernet connection of s3 shows "down" on my network switch software. I assume the S3 ethernet setting is to turn it on/off.

Posted · Firmware 7.0

sshd is disabled unless you go into "developer" mode.  It's a setting in the menus but...   I think they maybe removed that feature on the S3.  It's still on the S5 and it *might* be on the S3 - I can't keep track.  Maybe it's only the UM2+C where they removed developer mode.  Once it's in that mode it also shows the ip address right at the top of the dispaly (for all screens I think).  Only then is it worth trying to ssh.  An alternative to getting into connman is you can buy a USB to Serial cable - I like the olimex-cable-f.  You can connect that inside the base of the S3 near or on the computer (I'm not sure exactly where on the S3 - I know the S5 and UM3 better).  Then you have console access.  You can watch it boot and then you can log into root from there and access connman.

It's entirely possible that your ethernet died - something happened to the chip that does ethernet.  But since it seems to have happened with an upgrade I'm guessing it's firmware related.