Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Firmware 7.0

SandervG

Posted · Firmware 7.0

Ultimaker is proud to announce the release of firmware 7.0 for the Ultimaker S3, Ultimaker S5, and Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle. With it, you will enjoy a renewed UI – with improved status information, print controls, and notifications – that enables you to print with better control, more confidence, and improved efficiency. 

So what are some of the improvements? Well, it is quite the list! 

Status bar. A new top status bar in your Ultimaker display will always show important printer information, no matter where you are in the interface. This is an especially exciting update, as you can now directly see if you’re connected to the Wi-Fi or Ethernet, and Ultimaker Digital Factory – and if a firewall is enabled. You can also view a printer’s name and are notified with its build plate is hot.

1545237080_IdleView-Printertaskspending.thumb.png.07053ba5991aae7363422d26d3e9a66e.png

Print job status. The main menu’s ‘Status’ icon shows your current print job’s status and progress from anywhere on the menu.

For print status, the following notifications may appear:

•    Print finished (green check mark icon) 
•    Print aborted (red ‘abort’ icon) 
•    Paused (white ‘pause’ icon) 
•    Preparing/resuming (orange progress circle) 
•    Finishing print (white progress circle) 

Configuration overview. In the configuration menu of the Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle, the interface now clearly indicates when materials require your attention. Non-urgent items will turn yellow. Urgent items – if your filament has run out, for instance – will turn red. 

Additionally, the UI now clearly indicates when a print core is missing – for both standalone printers and those using the Ultimaker S5 Material Station. This is especially helpful for alerting you or other users that two print cores are needed for dual extrusion print jobs. 

514589914_SystemOverview-BlockingEoF(MaterialStation).thumb.png.fb6f67fa2e5645d9dfd345c4ab757b74.png

Printer task notification. You will now receive notifications for printer tasks that require attention. Printer tasks are maintenance items that need to be performed on your printer, such as changing the filter in the Ultimaker S5 Air Manager. 

Printer task notifications are shown through the main menu’s ‘Preferences’ icon and are now also clearly visible in the Preferences menu. There, the following is shown:

•    No tasks (green checkmark)
•    Non-urgent printer tasks (yellow exclamation mark) 
•    Urgent printer tasks (red exclamation mark) 

..And much more! You can read more about it in our release notes and in our blog.

You can find the instructions and corresponding firmware via this link, but when you are connected to the internet, and set your configuration to latest firmware your Ultimaker should also notify you about a new version!

Enjoy, and we're looking forward to hear from you in the comments! 

• Like 1

Posted · Firmware 7.0

Still no UI changes to show layer number and print core temps, speed etc all in one place ?, i was really hoping for that it has been promised for well over a year now 😞

• Like 1

Posted · Firmware 7.0

@wfin73 the update shouldn't take that long to finish.
Normally it is not advised to switch off  the printer during a firmware upgrade. If has been going on for that long it is safe to assume it has run into an issue.
Please try re-starting your printer and you may find out that the upgrade has been finished correctly.

Posted · Firmware 7.0

It finally came back after rebooting a couple times. This seems to happen every time it does a firmware update. Next time I'll run it from the USB to rule out any network issues.

Posted · Firmware 7.0

Is the upgrade process to 7.0 on the S5 running 5.8.2 reliable and robust?

I've had the machine almost a year and I've held off on the firmware upgrades due to reports here and elsewhere of users 'bricking' machines when attempting such an upgrade.

When I upgraded to the latest Cura, it generates a front panel version warning when I submit print jobs and one of the team replied in another thread that I need to upgrade the firmware to resolve that.

I just want to be sure I'm not going down a black hole that will take a service call to recover from.

Thanks.

Posted · Firmware 7.0

The S-line printers have 2 release channels: Stable and Latest

As the naming suggests, Stable is for the environments where users give more priority to stability than to newest features. This channel receives about 3 updates per year, mostly bug fixes. Current release is v6.2.3

'Latest' is also a well tested release, but here new features are introduced that still have to prove themselves in the wild. This channel receives about 10 updates per year, a combination of bug fixes and new features. Current release is v7.0.0

Release notes: https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012055979-Ultimaker-S-line-firmware-release-notes

Posted · Firmware 7.0

Thanks.

I just downloaded both the Latest and Stable and I'll probably try it with the Stable release, at least at first.

Since the upgrade from 5.8.x to 6.5.x appears to be a true 'trap door' situation, I want to be 100% sure of it before I try it.

I feel more comfortable doing it locally from a memory stick than to risk a network disruption during the process.

Posted · Firmware 7.0

Updating from 5.8 to 6.x is indeed a one-way update. Since changes will be made to the internal drive structure it isn't easy to do a downgrade. Installing an old firmware is always possible using the SD-card based recovery procedure, but not recommended on the early S5 models because you have to open the casing and hazardous voltages are inside.

Use whatever update procedure makes you feel more comfortable. A network interruption is not going to create a problem during the update process; first the whole new image is downloaded and verified before real installation starts.

Posted · Firmware 7.0

It just finished and a test print (a 20mm calibration cube) is now printing.

It took less clock time than I expected.  The only thing I noticed is that it appeared to wait at the '2 minutes to finish' point slightly longer than two minutes.