Flow sensor for the UM3

Posted (edited) · Flow sensor for the UM3

Hey everyone.   @Enigma_M4 @fbrc8-erin @3dprintz

I've successfully upgraded to S5 feeders on my UM3 with instructions from CarloK.    I've put together a detailed write-up for making the upgrades.  The doc is still a WIP and I'll be adding more photos, but thought this would be nice if anyone is adventurous.

I've been testing it for two weeks a now and so far so good!   It gives abrasion resistant feeders and flow sensor.  Also the S5 feeder is just way nicer to change filament using the new lever system.  The spring lever system of the stock UM3 is so poor in comparison.

NOTE:  This document is still a WIP.  There may be typos or small mistakes.   Please do this mod at your own discretion!   Its very simple but it does require one small modification to the ultimaker case, so it may void warranty if that matters to you.  More photos will be added in the coming days.  Also if you spot any errors in the doc let me know.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xS30mssCCnmrijWDpg-YsJSjPGnsYNUsdmtQHAISqxY/edit?usp=sharing

I can also make a new post if everyone feels that this is worthwhile.

Edited by polygonfuture
typos
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Posted · Flow sensor for the UM3
19 hours ago, polygonfuture said:

Hey everyone.   @Enigma_M4 @fbrc8-erin @3dprintz

I've successfully upgraded to S5 feeders on my UM3 with instructions from CarloK.    I've put together a detailed write-up for making the upgrades.  The doc is still a WIP and I'll be adding more photos, but thought this would be nice if anyone is adventurous.

I've been testing it for two weeks a now and so far so good!   It gives abrasion resistant feeders and flow sensor.  Also the S5 feeder is just way nicer to change filament using the new lever system.  The spring lever system of the stock UM3 is so poor in comparison.

NOTE:  This document is still a WIP.  There may be typos or small mistakes.   Please do this mod at your own discretion!   Its very simple but it does require one small modification to the ultimaker case, so it may void warranty if that matters to you.  More photos will be added in the coming days.  Also if you spot any errors in the doc let me know.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xS30mssCCnmrijWDpg-YsJSjPGnsYNUsdmtQHAISqxY/edit?usp=sharing

I can also make a new post if everyone feels that this is worthwhile.

Does it matter which S5 extruders you use? Cause there's R``1 and R2 versions.

On 11/11/2021 at 12:48 PM, 3dprntz said:

Does it matter which S5 extruders you use? Cause there's R``1 and R2 versions.

UPDATE Nov 23, 2021:
    @3dprintz

Based on CarloK's post on November 17th, I am using R1 feeder versions purchased from Erin's outfit at FBRC8 (I'm based in North America).  For now R1 is only supported for UM3 firmware 5.3.0. 

R2 should be supported in future updates but no official deadline has been set for this change. 

Edited by polygonfuture
    • Like 2

Some additional info on the S3/S5 feeders:

• The S3 and S5 use the same feeders.
    • The feeders for the left and right side are different.
    • Around June 2020 a new feeder revision was introduced: r2
    • The r2 feeder better handles brittle materials. PVA filament got small cracks and to reduce this the feeder wheel was changed into a finer knurl pattern.
    • The feeder revision code r1/r2 has no relation to the S5 revision code r1/r2
    • For automatic detection of the different feeder wheels, the electronics was changed
    • Both feeders should be the same revision level, mixing is not supported
    • UM3 firmware v5.3.0 only supports the r1 revision

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/4408416927122-S-line-feeder-versions

I've made a note to support the r2 feeders in a next UM3 release, but no promises here.

Ordering codes:
    203732 S5 feeder, left, rev.1

203733 S5 feeder, right, rev.1

225720 Feeder assembly left (1), rev.2, fine knurl
    225719 Feeder assembly right (2), rev.2, fine knurl
    225984 Fine knurl feeder kit (set containing both the left and right fine knurl feeders)

• CarloK featured this topic

Thanks for the info CarloK.  I'll add this info into the doc for future as well.

@3dprntz Turns out I made a mistake on Feeder revision.  Based on CarloK's latest post, the part numbers I provided are for R1 feeders as R2 are not currently supported with UM3 5.3.0 firmware (but will be added in future firmware update). 

@CarloK What are the downsides of R1 feeder?  The issue is that the R1 feeders can create cracks in PVA filament?   Just asking so I know what to watch for in the future.

Edited by polygonfuture

@polygonfuture Yep, the r1 feeder was updated because brittle materials like PVA got micro cracks in the filament. This can lead to filament breaks where retractions will be ineffective. Not a really big problem for the UM3, just some extra oozing, but in the Material Stations we do many more retracts and broken filament can get stuck at a location where you will have to dismantle the whole Material Station to fix it.
    That's why for the Material Station people can receive a free replacement feeder, even after the warranty period.

• Like 1

Go for the R1 feeders. A new UM3 release is not planned, so you could be waiting a long time.

• Like 1

FKF-black-dot-on-housing.png

Here is a picture of the difference for the feeders. Thought it also can be used as a stencil for the installation. Just needs to be resized correctly.

Great update! Is there any changes to the r1 or r2 feeders, or do we still have to go with the r1-Feeders?

excellent document, I cleared up some stuff which I did not know

• Like 1

Hey i want to upgrade my ultimaker 3 extended with the S5 feeder and flowsensor. But i cant find the S5 feeder R1.
    I have the firmware version 5.3.0. So i need the R1 version. Is there a shop in th EU that sell them?

I don't think you can get the S5 feeder to work on the UM3.  I mean it would require drilling holes (I assume).  Plus the steps/mm is probably different so you would have to edit that in the firmware.  And anytime you update your S5 firmware you would have to do the edit again.  Although that's not too hard as it's explained on bondtech's page if you upgrade to a bondtech feeder.

So why do you want to change feeders?  Is it the convenience of the lever?  The hardened steel feeder?  Or some other reason?

Also the flow sensor will be ignored in UM3 firmware.

Oh.  So I see above there is information somewhat disagreeing with my post.  I'm still skeptical.  So since you have part numbers above, you can order the left and/or right feeder from any Ultimaker reseller in europe.  Just because they don't show it on their website doesn't mean they can get it for you.  By contract I think they are required to sell you parts.

I only want to enable the flow sensor on my UM3. On the looks the feeder on my UM3 is the same as the s serie and i have already the cables install .I will look at the UM3 feeder and the S serie feeder. Maybe i only oder the flow sensor and try that out.

I upgraded my UM3 with S5 feeders (rev1) some time ago, using the documents by @polygonfuture and they work like a charm (I've not used abrasive filaments with the CC-cores so far, so I'm only used to the flow sensors).

The sensors can be activated and deactivated in the printer menu and instantly detect any flow rate lower than 80%, like clogged nozzles or filament run-out.

The little tinkering that's needed to fit the feeders (drilling a small pocket and changing two wires in a connector) can be done by everyone, who's able to maintain a printer. The E-steps stay the same, as the sprockets of the feeders of UM3 and S5 are the same size. The only thing that's a bit tricky is adapting the firmware via SSH, but the description is step-by-step, so I (a windows 7 user with no experience in linux and SSH) was able to do it.

Afaik, the new S5 feeders just changed the knurling of the feeder-wheel, so they might work.

• Like 2

Edited by 7up