3Dprima flexplate size for Ultimaker 2+

Posted · 3Dprima flexplate size for Ultimaker 2+

I've just purchased this flexplate 220x220 from 3dprima. It's the size that some sites mention is compatible with my Ultimaker 2+.

However, this is how it looks. Quite a bit of wasted area.

Now I noticed there is a 235x235 version. It looks from measuring in the printer, that it would fit in width.

It would stick out on the front, but there seems to be enough margin for not being a problem.

Has anyone tried a magnetic sheet 235x235 of that kind in an Ultimaker 2+?

IMG_20211118_162143.jpg

I bought my first Build Tak from them, too small (for UM3).

I was under the impression I mixed up build volume with build plate size which of course isnt the same.

Reading this and seing the build volume of an Ultimaker 2 is 223 x 220 x 205 mm its probably them misleading us 😄

Measure the glass plate and go for a larger one.

Check out Build Tak, they have sizes better matching the Ultimakers (at least for the UM3) 

31 minutes ago, AndersK said:

Reading this and seing the build volume of an Ultimaker 2 is 223 x 220 x 205 mm its probably them misleading us 😄

This makes me wonder, maybe print area is limited by the print head movement, rather than the build plate? I mean, there might be more glass than the head can cover...

Posted (edited) · 3Dprima flexplate size for Ultimaker 2+

I made an experiment. I placed small squares in the corners of the print area in Cura's default settings for the 2+.

Screenshot_2021-11-19_142823.thumb.png.5ad327c81886a3b0ebc6d8e6301233b3.png

Here is the result:

20211119_141151.thumb.jpg.5e232070c40285c4b1670e8f6a75718b.jpg

So some of the build plate _is_ actually unused. I checked that while the print was ongoing: it's limited by the print head, the fan shroud would crash into the right wall if it went all to way to the edge of the plate.

Matching these squares to the flexplate:

20211119_142701.thumb.jpg.2a7d4a42f6f75b83d32f48d94bb2655f.jpg

You cannot see them, it's almost a perfect fit. So the solution is to mark what edges the Cura settings give, and stick the magnet sheet there.

One more thing I wonder: I've seen people putting the sticky magnet sheet either on the glass plate, or directly on the heating plate. Which one should I choose?

Edited by gauthier

Yes, the glass is always larger than print area to avoid what you just had to do🙂

Using a larger plate removes need for perfect alignment